12 ton venom log splitter

simsimo

Just wondered if anyone has got this splitter from rock machinery and if so what they think of it?

I'm looking to buy my first log splitter and don't want to spend a massive amount on it as logs are only a small side line and personal use thing.

I've only ever used similar sized vertical ones but this one is horizontal. Any pros and cons of this?

I know the 22 ton venom splitter gets pretty good reviews and it's road towable but it's so much more money and I'd like to be able to get it through garden gates so the smaller one is probably best for me.

Cheers

I bought one about 6 months ago. I'm only using it for my own use and I split a bit for friends and neighbours, I've done about 8-10 tons through it so far since I've had it. My thoughts are its a very good machine for heavy domestic use but probably too slow/low for everyday use. It's split some pretty knotty stuff and doesn't struggle, I've never needed to run it anymore than about 3/4 of full revs. Downsides are its pretty hard on your back as its low to the ground. BTW I think some of the early negative reviews were when they sent them out not fully assembled, but they now send them fully assembled mine came with all the hydraulic oil engine oil and even a little fuel in it from when they did the PDI.

Thanks for the review Charlesd. I never thought about the neck issue but thinking about it, being horizontal will make it lower down so more time bent over compared with a vertical one.

I've seen vertical ones made by Titan Pro and Lawnflight for a similar price but I'm still edging toward the venom one from rock machinery.

I've got one and my experience and usage matches with Charlesd. I've used better and it's got some downsides but for the money it seems pretty good and mines covered its cost and saved my back some aches.

Downsides are the low working height which isn't great for your back but given that it doesn't have a table it does at least mean you don't have to lift the split logs far each time. The mounting for the valve annoys me each time I use it as it tends to unscrew from the cylinder if you don't push the handles exactly together it but it could be sorted with another short bit of hose /swivel and a bracket.

We tend to use it with one operating and one loading and can get through a fair bit of rough stuff in a hour.

If it helps I now use a cheap set of car ramps like these and a log under the front and it lifts it to a much better working height. I agree with StuartM its much easier with 2, one loading and one working the leavers.

For what I need it really suits, I used to have a screw splitter on the back of my little Kubota but this way I can still use the tractor/trailer for logs and the venom splits way better than the screw splitter ever did.