Logsplitter valve

farmboy3

10 hours ago, scbk said:

Has anyone used one of the rapid extend valves, are they any good?

Also seen them advertised on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LSR-3060-3-RAPID-EXTEND-LOG-SPLITTER-VALVE-/162259296201?hash=item25c7685fc9:m:mXWlkNXaaeE9zP5AR9smX3A

This looks like what was called a regeneration spool, when it is high speed mode the oil is delivered through the line which is connected to both ports on the  ram, so oil being forced out of the piston rod side  of the ram is delivered back in to the piston side. Because the pressure is the same both sides  the force delivered to the log is the pressure times area of the piston minus the pressure times area of the piston minus the rod on the other side, so the force is much reduced in regeneration mode. When full force is required the valve slice moves back to a position where the oil just goes to the piston side and the rod side vents to tank. You can achieve the same result with a diverter tap in  a line between each port.

Regenerative valves are often pressure sensed so that as soon as system pressure reaches a limit (e.g. the splitter reaches a tough part of the log) is drops out of regenerative mode into normal for full force to be applied.

The valve I have shown here from the catalogue is the one I have fitted to my splitter. In 3 years it hasn't missed a beat. I have a high flow rate on my pump and only 3/8" hoses to my ram from the valve so the hi-speed / rapid extend is of no great benefit even though it is on the valve. 

When I bought my valve from McHugh components via my local agri dealer it was only €120 incl of all taxes and delivery + dealer mark up. Them boys you linked to from fleabay are taking the pixx I believe............

IMG_2863_zps0787ee8c.jpg

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

This looks like what was called a regeneration spool, when it is high speed mode the oil is delivered through the line which is connected to both ports on the  ram, so oil being forced out of the piston rod side  of the ram is delivered back in to the piston side. Because the pressure is the same both sides  the force delivered to the log is the pressure times area of the piston minus the pressure times area of the piston minus the rod on the other side, so the force is much reduced in regeneration mode. When full force is required the valve slice moves back to a position where the oil just goes to the piston side and the rod side vents to tank. You can achieve the same result with a diverter tap in  a line between each port.

Regenerative valves are often pressure sensed so that as soon as system pressure reaches a limit (e.g. the splitter reaches a tough part of the log) is drops out of regenerative mode into normal for full force to be applied.

Interesting :)

Is there any disadvantages, like shorter lifespan of valve, extra wear on the rest of the hydraulic system, or lots of heat created in high speed mode?

2 hours ago, scbk said:

Interesting :)

Is there any disadvantages, like shorter lifespan of valve, extra wear on the rest of the hydraulic system, or lots of heat created in high speed mode?

Not that I can think of if the valve is rated for the flow from the pump. If you want to try it with a standard valve  you can put a rotary diverter between the piston port and  rod port and tank such that in normal mode the rotary diverter blocks the flow from the piston port to the rod port and the rod port is connected to tank via the double acting slice. To increase speed on the forward stroke the diverter blocks the return to tank and opens the  piston port to the rod port, it is then operating as a single acting ram. Of course then the ram cannot return until the diverter is changed and if system pressure is reached it can make the diverter more difficult to turn.

If it is the pump and hoses that limit the system pressure (e.g. often rams and steel pipes are rated at 4000psi but pumps only 2500psi) the corollary is that a similar idea can be used to intensify the force by using a higher pressure  as long as the working parts can stand the stress, albeit with a slower speed. So one could have  3 differing speeds and forces from one pump but nowadays it is often cheaper to have tandem pumps and switch one out to tank as pressure increases.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Openspaceman and Stock, got round to fitting the rapid extend valve today, as the flowfit one needed replaced.

Seems to be pretty sturdy B|

Tried to get a video of it showing high speed and normal speed

:D:D

DSCN1405x.jpg

Edited by scbk