Shit hits the fan

Nikk

Hi all Nikk the Newbie,

well in my strives to become a Oldish tree surgeon / Grounds person I had my worst set back for a long time. I went to my doctors to see about my troublesome right knee had surgery back in April 17. Only to be informed that I face further surgery and put everything on hold for my new career! I've had to cancel All temporarily booked courses, I've bought bits of kit, they will now sit on my garage shelf with big question mark over them. I feel sick to my stomach, at 53 my doctor/consultant is thinking of replacing my knee ! Downside is my young age ! So you lucky people out there ! You are very fortunate to do the job you do! I am very grateful for being welcome onto this forum, and I have had the pleasure to chat with light minded people. 

Cheers Nick 

• Sad 1

I got a new knee ( well a half knee )  a uni compartmental replacement its called . If you need it then get it done . I was walking after the second day . When the clips come out then you take off . Get on the exorcise bike and get it bending . You will be fine bud . No worries .

What a bummer, you're right we should count ourselves lucky. At the risk of sounding trite, would it be possible, financially, for you to invest in a small MEWP? A second hand tracked unit or something of the sort - I realise they are expensive. If this was feasible, it would allow you to do some, if not all, of the work, as well as other kinds of stuff like maintenance and painting. In my experience, limited as it is, the most of tree surgery type work isn't major climbing anyway, more like messy removals, monotonous pruning and so on. I also have the climbing gear and rarely need to use it - 80% of the high up stuff is pole saw territory and tricky leaners and such can be manhandled with chains and tirfors/lever hoists.

Edited by Haironyourchest

13 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

What a bummer, you're right we should count ourselves lucky. At the risk of sounding trite, would it be possible, financially, for you to invest in a small MEWP? A second hand tracked unit or something of the sort - I realise they are expensive. If this was feasible, it would allow you to do some, if not all, of the work, as well as other kinds of stuff like maintenance and painting. In my experience, limited as it is, the most of tree surgery type work isn't major climbing anyway, more like messy removals, monotonous pruning and so on. I also have the climbing gear and rarely need to use it - 80% of the high up stuff is pole saw territory and tricky leaners and such can be manhandled with chains and tirfors/lever hoists.

Nikk's looking at a change in career, to start in arb and get some tickets. 

15 hours ago, Nikk said:

Downside is my young age

Nikk, that's an upside. I know you're fit and active from our conversation - you'll mend quicker and get back to pre-op levels of fitness sooner. Stay positive, it's a set back not the end of your plans.:thumbup1: