gin wheels

westphalian

i need to drag 6-8ft lengths of 18" conifers into position for milling in the wood. what rated blocks/pulleys would i need? ie what is the pulling force required? i aim to use my truck but need an anchored gin wheel/block/pulley for positioning. i don't think gin wheels will be up to it and will probably need a snatch block. 2 tonne ok?

I move logs all the time with a hand winch. This allows me to move it into a better for milling and all I do is attach it to another tree. The logs I am moving are anything up to 4' dia oak all at 8' length. I think my winch is rated for 4 tons and the cable is 11mm dia. There is no other way for me to move them as its not always possible to get my mates landrover and winch in.

Mike

Definitely don't use gin wheels with a tirfors or any kind of puller - they're only rated for 250kg or something, like hoisting buckets of mortar up scaffolding! I like ratchet lever pullers, like a block and chain but with a handle - strong, compact. I got the chain length upgraded though, need at least 4m for forestry work.