Clients that make you go hmmmmm.

Mick Dempsey

I remember going to quote a job for an old guy. He had a nice sized garden with some nice trees. We spent 30mins walking around each tree and the conversation was composed of him telling me how he was going to prune each tree. Then we arrived at the end of his tour, I was now a little perplexed,  to a short but very wide beech hedge ( 5m or so wide) we talked about that for about another 20mins about reducing the width to make future management easier..we agreed a price and he would contact me when ready .I never heard back from the bugger again!

• Haha 1

On 13/08/2017 at 08:04, skyhuck said:

I reckon they are just cheap skates, they were hopping the price would be peanuts and when it wasn't they try to save face by saying they'd been going to do it themselves all along,.

Some clients come out with some weird stuff. If they don't want to say no just dont contact me again? If its left as they'll contact me I forget about it and if they contact me great we'll go ahead if they dont then whatever.

Had one about a month back to lift all the trees trees around the garden to give about 12 feet clearance so polesaw work a few hours no big deal. Client claimed her husband (a short man about 40 years old and 18 stone) used to be a tree surgeon and because they haven't heard of us they'd go with someone else??????? Just tell me no? Why make up some lie to not get me to do the work?

6 hours ago, Burgess said:

Some clients come out with some weird stuff. If they don't want to say no just dont contact me again? If its left as they'll contact me I forget about it and if they contact me great we'll go ahead if they dont then whatever.

Had one about a month back to lift all the trees trees around the garden to give about 12 feet clearance so polesaw work a few hours no big deal. Client claimed her husband (a short man about 40 years old and 18 stone) used to be a tree surgeon and because they haven't heard of us they'd go with someone else??????? Just tell me no? Why make up some lie to not get me to do the work?

Why would they even bother to get you in to quote if they hadn't heard of you?! Some people don't think there fibs through!

A pet peeve of mine is when clients call you in and walk you around pointing at individual trees and say "what about that one? What do you think we should do to that?"

So you run through a series of options ranging from doing nothing to taking it out all depending on what the client wants.

Next tree "what do you think about that one?"

• Like 1

Went to take out a large overgrown privet/bramble hedge a while back.

real pig of a job, with wire and bailer twine throughout.

clients wife appeared after 10 minutes work, asked if we wanted to come through to the kitchen for a cooked breakfast?

Hmmmm :thumbup: