Clients that make you go hmmmmm.

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I was annoyed Gary, but what would be the point in kicking up?

I didn't say I'd be kicking off (might be blood dripping from my lips through biting my tongue though)

I'd very quietly and politely ask. I'd get a great deal of satisfaction by (hopefully) embarrassing them and would leave happy if I thought they felt bad about being thoughtless and inconsiderate time-wasters :thumbup1:

6 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Yeah, but it's a faff innit?

Yeah, but it's even worse when you're half way through the job and the client decides that they no longer want all of the work done (happened this week due to differences of opinion between mother and daughter).

Then you're trying to proportion costs that are fair to yourself and the client....

Edited by Gary Prentice

I did a job for an old lady I know down the street, dig up a small lawn 12ft by 12ft and relay it...  I said I'd do her a favour an do it for fifty quid plus, she had to pay costs...

after faffing around all day, (can you do this why your here sort of thing), I asked her for the money, fifty for the labour and 40 for the turf and soil... you said you'd do it for fifty quid she said... after explaining what I really said she paid up.. her sons and daughters used to give me daggers for months afterwards thinkin I'd ripped her off...

Edited by Vespasian
missed out a word

When I was a sprog I was in the boy scouts . It was " bob a job week " done a few car washes and shoe cleans . Called at an old dear in the close . She said can you clear my garden . I was there for the whole week . Yea you guessed it . A shilling ! 

• Haha 1

I did a job for a neighbour a couple of year ago, went round to price up topping a few conifers and general tidying up of shrubs nothing over the top just a tidy up so I gave them a really cheap day rate said it's more of a favour (they are getting on a bit). 

Turn up up on the day to be met with professional drawings from her son who is a draughtsman, I politely told them there is more work on the drawings than we talked about (mainly the front garden which definitely wasn't spoke about) so we either talk about adding more £ to the price or I do as was originally spoke about minus the drawings. 

Initially they wernt best pleased however after an honest chat I said I can leave them to find someone else, be paid more or carry out what we spoke about, they agreed for me to crack on. 

Multiple times I was asked to do more throughout the job each time I said ok but it will be more £ and each time they said no it's ok. 

They where made up with the end results but for me it was a long naggy day which taught me a valuable lesson from that day on I'm a mercanary if you want my services you pay my price or you go elsewhere and as it stands it has stood me in good stead. 

Favours are for family and and close friends everybody else can pay their way. 

Edited by WesD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Nice idea Felix.

Other things that does my nut in are clients who want a multiple tree quote where they want a breakdown of what each tree will cost.

Tell me what you want done, I'll give you a price, it's not pick'n'mix.

Client asked me to quote on several "jobs" (trees).

same thing, wanted a price per each tree, bush, hedge.

put £50 on top of each job for travel/dicking around.

then threw in a big hedge/20' line of leyli for £50.

suprised when a few days later he called back to agree to the prices.

when I arrived there was another tree surgeon cutting the neighbours trees.

client informed me the other tree surgeon had agreed to cut the long leyli and how much price reduction would they get.

£50 it's on the list I said.

client looked at list, face dropped.

I did all the other trees. 

Well paid day.