Branch logger OR Bilke S3 - Any good ? opinions please

Bustergasket

Iam looking to tidy up some hedges which have grown out, iam thinking maybe a branch logger would be a good tool and may also be able to sell the nets, either that or possibly a Bilke s3, but i appreciate they are different machines, has anyone used or seen these used to produce low grade cheap firewood.

either that or just hire in a forestry mulch head on a 360 and flatten the lot, possibly seems a shame though

IVE GOT A BRANCHLOGGER,ITS GREAT FOR MAKING FUEL FOR OURSELVES AND LIKE MINDED SOULS BUT I DONT THINK THE STUFF IS VERY MARKETABLE.

CUSTOMERS ARE SET IN THEIR WAYS ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK IS GOOD FUEL,SO UNLESS YOUVE GOT LOADS OF CHIMENEA TYPES YOU WONT SELL MUCH OF IT.

BUT THE FUEL HAS LOADS OF HEAT IN IT AND THE AMOUNT YOU CAN PRODUCE A DAY MEANS THAT WE DONT HAVE TO USE OUR MACHINE VERY OFTEN.

Wood chunks come into their own for use in wood boilers (especially top loaders) and wood fired pizza ovens - a niche market but, as postage is prohibitive, one that anyone with a branch logger can provide to local customers. The willow below was cut and chunked this this week. I am hoping that someone invents a practical (ie profitable without grants) small scale charcoal process as this would be the perfect feed stock.

willow-wood-chunks.jpg

I have Bilke 3s, if I run it from the small tractor, David Brown 885, it has to be running pretty quick to prevent stalling, which produces pretty messy smashed up wood, but behind the mog (200HP+) I can be run at jut over tickover and then it produces pretty decent logs.

8 hours ago, Marko said:

Wood chunks come into their own for use in wood boilers (especially top loaders) and wood fired pizza ovens - a niche market but, as postage is prohibitive, one that anyone with a branch logger can provide to local customers. The willow below was cut and chunked this this week. I am hoping that someone invents a practical (ie profitable without grants) small scale charcoal process as this would be the perfect feed stock.

willow-wood-chunks.jpg

That would be great like u say for charcoal

8 hours ago, daveindales said:

If your interested, I have a branch logger for sale due to no longer selling firewood. It's in immaculate condition. SMH70. Done under 500 nets from new. Always being stored in garage

dave, i tried to pm you but could not get the new website to work, let me know him much u are looking for and i will have a count up, cheers

7 hours ago, skyhuck said:

I have Bilke 3s, if I run it from the small tractor, David Brown 885, it has to be running pretty quick to prevent stalling, which produces pretty messy smashed up wood, but behind the mog (200HP+) I can be run at jut over tickover and then it produces pretty decent logs.

Have to say i love the look of the s3 my tractor is about 70 hp so not sure, also i think an s3 is going to be a lot more than a branch logger which i have seen u can pick up pretty cheap

16 hours ago, forestgough said:

IVE GOT A BRANCHLOGGER,ITS GREAT FOR MAKING FUEL FOR OURSELVES AND LIKE MINDED SOULS BUT I DONT THINK THE STUFF IS VERY MARKETABLE.

CUSTOMERS ARE SET IN THEIR WAYS ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK IS GOOD FUEL,SO UNLESS YOUVE GOT LOADS OF CHIMENEA TYPES YOU WONT SELL MUCH OF IT.

BUT THE FUEL HAS LOADS OF HEAT IN IT AND THE AMOUNT YOU CAN PRODUCE A DAY MEANS THAT WE DONT HAVE TO USE OUR MACHINE VERY OFTEN.

That's good to know, what diameter can you process ? do u do logs or kindling and bulk bags or nets ? cheers