bandsaw not working? whats wrong?

se7enthdevil

hi guys, my bandsaw has decided to stop working and i wondered if anyone could help me diagnose what the problem is???

i have an old SIP 14" BANDSAW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIP-01444-14-PROFESSIONAL-WOOD-BANDSAW-BAND-SAW-/401268533486?epid=1104302265&hash=item5d6d77e8ee:g:UmgAAMXQydtTLG87

and it has one of these as the switch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Start-Stop-No-Volt-Release-Switch-NVR-Common-to-many-workshop-machines-4pin-/263133354988?hash=item3d43f85bec:g:6fcAAOSwoBtW2YYZ

yesterday it was struggling on start up and needed me to hold the start switch for 1-2 seconds to start it. does that mean it's just the NVR switch that has gone?

any help would be greatly appreciated as i know nothing of electrics.

if anyone could pop round and help out i would also be greatly indebted.

i'm in maidenhead.

thanks in advance 

I am not a bandsaw or motor expert, but I would say it is far more likely to be the switch than the motor.  Only other thing that comes to mind is if there are micro-switches on the doors which would stop the motor if a door is opened they could fail.  If you don't have these then it is either the switch, the motor or a loose connection, and the most likely of these to fail is the switch.  

Also if you replace the switch it might only cost you £15 plus fitting so it may be worth a punt, whereas a new motor would cost lots.  Hope this helps.

all things considered it seems to be the switch as there is no obvious motor problems (as if i'd be able to recognise one anyway) and it is not the micro switches on the doors. my hope is that it's just the switch as like you say it's a cheap fix but thought i'd get some expert knowledge from here first.

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Steve, open the box where the power cable goes in and post a picture.

1 minute ago, se7enthdevil said:

can't get to it tonight but i'll try to tomorrow and post the pic.

am i looking for anything?

There will be a capacitor in there, it might just be on 'it's way out', cheap fix if it is, and simple to replace.

it will probably look something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polypropylene-Film-AC-Motor-Run-Capacitor-50uF-450V-CBB60-T8H4-/222610095568?epid=1956791753&hash=item33d4987dd0:g:wecAAOSwwVRZjfCE

One thing that bandsaws are prone to is fine dust clogging up the motor windings causing it to overheat and burn out the windings, even if dust extraction is used. I have just had to replace the motor on my Startrite 352 and it was chogged up with fine dust despite the fact that I use the biggest Camvac extractor with 3 motors. I used to strip the motor down every year and blow it out with a compressor air gun. This year has been so busy I forgopt and then had to pay the price.