Opinions on what constitutes a climbing saw

Robert Lavin

2 hours ago, stewmo said:

I thought the training in the use of a saw up a tree is not specifically related to top handles. I'm pretty sure when I trained CS39 was titled Use of a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness. Yes on the course we used top handled saws, but to say you would be fine to use any saw other than a top handle up a tree without the appropriate training is IMO not accurate. 

Do your training first. There are many things to consider when working at height with any kind of saw.

Then what you want is a light versitile and powerful saw - top handled are the easiest to use in tight situations but as stihlmadasever said a small rear handled saws are also fine

You are absolutley correct in your point of all chainsaw use is dangerous to an untrained individual.

My point was however top handled saws are more dangerous to the inexperienced climber as they may struggle to get into the correct work position and the temptation to one hand the saw increases.

A rear handled saw would at least make the climber use both hands at all times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

You are absolutley correct in your point of all chainsaw use is dangerous to an untrained individual.

My point was however top handled saws are more dangerous to the inexperienced climber as they may struggle to get into the correct work position and the temptation to one hand the saw increases.

Agree!

9 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Also , and this is just my opinion , I disagree when people say using a top handled saw on the ground is dangerous and that they should only be used up a tree . Using a top handle on the ground with both feet planted and both hands on the saw has got to be safer than dangling from a harness  stood on a thin wet beech branch holding your rope with one hand and the saw at full stretch in the other !  Its just that back handles are safer than top handles on the ground .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Also , and this is just my opinion , I disagree when people say using a top handled saw on the ground is dangerous and that they should only be used up a tree . Using a top handle on the ground with both feet planted and both hands on the saw has got to be safer than dangling from a harness  stood on a thin wet beech branch holding your rope with one hand and the saw at full stretch in the other !  Its just that back handles are safer than top handles on the ground .

Yeah i agree stubby.I dont have a problem with top handled saws being used on the deck.

Most climbers have probably done it at some point

I use my 200t on the ground quite often, but only in situations where the risk of kickback is low. For example if I was logging up a pile of sticks on the floor or snedding out I just wouldn't do it. If it did kick back it is certainly more dangerous than a rear handled. May not be more dangerous to be up a tree in those particular situations...

As ever sweeping statements just don't cut it in the real world!

There's talk of only trained operatives using top handled saws. But what exactly is the training for this?  Been a long time since I trained but I don't remember specific training relating to a top handled saw, just what cuts to make.  Anyone undergone training recently specifically relating to top handled use?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 11:20, Steve Bullman said:

There's talk of only trained operatives using top handled saws. But what exactly is the training for this?  Been a long time since I trained but I don't remember specific training relating to a top handled saw, just what cuts to make.  Anyone undergone training recently specifically relating to top handled use?

Don't think there is specific top handle training Steve. We all like to think we're the greatest thing since sliced bread the minute we get CS39, and lesser mortals may only look on in awe as we sling top handles about like light sabres :D

To the OP, your choice of a MS180 or other small lightweight ground saw is fine, combine this with a decent Silky and you'll be able to do anything that any other climber can do. When I first passed my climbing tickets, I coudn't afford a top handle and so my climbing saw for over a year was a Husky 365 with 18" bar, used that for everything over 1" diameter. Not really recommended, but possible!

Don't think there is specific top handle training Steve. We all like to think we're the greatest thing since sliced bread the minute we get CS39, and lesser mortals may only look on in awe as we sling top handles about like light sabres [emoji3]

To the OP, your choice of a MS180 or other small lightweight ground saw is fine, combine this with a decent Silky and you'll be able to do anything that any other climber can do. When I first passed my climbing tickets, I coudn't afford a top handle and so my climbing saw for over a year was a Husky 365 with 18" bar, used that for everything over 1" diameter. Not really recommended, but possible!

makes sense now looking at your reductions!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

A gardener that I was working for today 'borrowed' my 150 to cut a climbing rose from a pergola while I was off tipping chip. 

When I got back he said to me 'what a great little saw I'll have to get one of these, like' (he's from Newcastle) 'there dangerous though, arnt they, I nearly took my fingers off!' 

Plus when I used it later it was blunt.

so training definitely required 

There are three issues with top handled saws: -

1) They can be used single handed

2) Your hands are too close together when using one "two handed" in comparison to a typical rear handled saw

3) You typically use one up a tree where you can be tempted to use it at full stretch, right in front of your body and in often far from ideal conditions

I love em and hate em - love them as I like working on them, hate them for the ease which they kid you they are as safe as rear handled saws!