Opinions please on best bandsaw mill

urbandekay

Woodmizer is the tried and tested equipment.  HD40 with hydraulics gives you power loading, turning etc.  And if you go for a diesel version you will save the hassle of getting petrol all the time - just get a bunded diesel tank and buy a bulk load and cost will be less than £0.50 per litre.  I would not be seduced by the Norwood mills like I was a couple of years ago.  I bought a brand new HD36, and it is flakey, and was a nightmare to put together, and almost impossible to get the bed straight.  Hope this helps a little.

They can be mounted on wheels, but this costs extra so unless you need to be mobile they just sit on the ground.  There are many other makes available, cheaper than Woodmizer - I don't have the experience of them to compare.  By the way, you said large hardwood; I think a woodmizer HD40 will have a maximum cut width of around 28 inches - so will cope with medium logs - large logs will be too big for this.

8 hours ago, urbandekay said:

HI, looking for opinions on the best bandsaw mill, what facilities and options to look for, power, etc. :Large hardwood timber. Thanks

Iam looking to purchase and have pretty much got it down to Trak Met or Forester, still debating / trying to justify the hydraulics as it's only really going to be for weekend use, if u search on here for some past posts then there is some good points covered by people who actually use the different bits of kit, be interested to see where u end up with it

3 hours ago, Bustergasket said:

Iam looking to purchase and have pretty much got it down to Trak Met or Forester, still debating / trying to justify the hydraulics as it's only really going to be for weekend use, if u search on here for some past posts then there is some good points covered by people who actually use the different bits of kit, be interested to see where u end up with it

I think TrakMet only have an electric powered option.

Choice of blade once you have the mill is pretty important too as there is a huge difference in performance and blade life between brands. You can't go wrong with some Ripper37 blades from http://www.stephencullblademaster.com/ , he resharpens them too.

He's also an owner operator with over 25 years experience so there isn't much he hasn't seen or done with a mill. Be worth talking to him to get his opinion, very approachable.