Sanding a bowl

mickdundee

I've turned this bowl today. Spalted beech and I was getting a bit of end grain tearout. I resharpened, upped the speed and took a few light passes to get it to what I felt was as good as i could. Will any amount of sanding get rid of these radial marks. I don't have a reverse facility. I've sanded on the lathe but would I be better off sanding it another way. Thanks for any advice 

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

Are you just holding a piece of sandpaper in your hand against the bowl spinning in the lathe ?    ...  I use small 2" dia foam / velcro  sanding arbors in a drill and will focus attention where / if required on troublesome spots like you have shown here , do not need high speed or much pressure , and I am sure 120/150  grit will remove those marks , it is a bit annoying when the marks only show up when finish (oil or wax ) is applied though .

15 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

Are you just holding a piece of sandpaper in your hand against the bowl spinning in the lathe ?    ...  I use small 2" dia foam / velcro  sanding arbors in a drill and will focus attention where / if required on troublesome spots like you have shown here , do not need high speed or much pressure , and I am sure 120/150  grit will remove those marks , it is a bit annoying when the marks only show up when finish (oil or wax ) is applied though .

Yeah twig that's how I'm doing it. The finish off the tool seemed ok but as I worked through the grits these became more prominent. 

I may put it back on the lathe anyway as I'm not sure I like the form. Might reduce the amount of slope on the rim and reduce wall thickness as well

As spalted woods can be soft the grain damage can go pretty deep, I learned a lot from Lyle JAMIESON on YouTube regarding tear out and how to avoid it, his series of videos I think are a must for any wood turner. he explains not only how, but why he uses the techniques he does. Well worth a peek. Oh yes and his boring rig is brilliant, I purchased it a couple of years ago and its the best system I have ever used.

Hollowing Rig.JPG

• Like 1

Mickdundee - I think those marks will go. What grit did you start on? Most times I see this, people have started slightly too fine; if you can't remove any of the tear-out with a fine finishing cut (sharpen tools just before final few passes), I'd use the full range: 80, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600. Each grit only removes the marks of the last grit, so don't move on from the rougher grits until these kind of tear-out patches have gone.
Sorry if any of that is teaching you to suck eggs - this isn't uncommon, and what I mentioned above has resolved the issue for others in your position :-)
Cheers.

• Like 1

I've had another go at it. Reduced the wall thickness a bit and got a better finish off the tool initially. Started with 80 grit and worked through and got a finish I'm reasonably happy with. Also I said from memory that this is beech but looking at it I'm fairly sure it's actually birch
97cbe7d17b24d574832d5390987a6f14.jpg5581d6bae604dd5b1169993c60b5a495.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk