Log Clock

Woodlover

I ordered on-line from China a clock mechanism for £1.12p including postage ,I had never made a clock before but for £1.12 I thought I may as well try.

I did not expect it to keep time or even arrive at that price ,but it came after 3 weeks and it keeps the time ,not lost a minute in 2 weeks and the second hand has a nice continuous movement .How there is a profit in this is beyond me.

I just drew around the mechanism onto the log and drilled and chiselled out so as the mech sits flush with wood,the clock face had to be 6mm or less,it hangs nicely against the wall with no gap .

IMG_20170709_193102.jpg

IMG_20170709_193053.jpg

I will be adding numbers around this clock soon,or twigs drilled into the side pointing to where numbers should be,big twigs for the 12 3 6 9 and small for all else might work well.

Here it is (on floor just messing with ideas)with some oversized odd coloured numbers ,smaller is needed I think.

19873863_10207551457104364_110655907_n (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 22:56, shillo said:

I made this one for the wife

IMG_1880.JPG

I like this , nice one shillo...I did not think you could get wooden clock hands? Did you make them yourself? and if so , does the weight of the hands you replaced have to be the same as the wooden hands ? otherwise it might not keep time?