walking hiking boot

Johny Walker

Vespasion   , ur idea of hill walking and mine must be very different things.

A day 'grousing' is most likely a 10-15 mile walk throu knee high heather, I doubt a pair of trainers would last more than a few days. The heather fairly wrecks even 'proper' boots

Generally the idea with boots is to keep ur feet dry in the first place, chances are ur feet will never dry if ur constantly walking throu wet ground which many upland areas tend to be.

I've yet to see a mountain rescue team, upland shepherd or hill keeper go to work on the hill in trainers

If boots don't give u any extra support why don't u see ice skates that aren't boots same with ski boots?

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

If you treat your boots with Leader Gris or Nike Wax or similar they wont get wet as the water just runs off ( ducks back style ) .

marvelous, instead of getting wet through from the outside, you'll sauna your feet from the inside..  

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Vespasion   , ur idea of hill walking and mine must be very different things.

A day 'grousing' is most likely a 10-15 mile walk throu knee high heather, I doubt a pair of trainers would last more than a few days. The heather fairly wrecks even 'proper' boots

Generally the idea with boots is to keep ur feet dry in the first place, chances are ur feet will never dry if ur constantly walking throu wet ground which many upland areas tend to be.

I've yet to see a mountain rescue team, upland shepherd or hill keeper go to work on the hill in trainers

If boots don't give u any extra support why don't u see ice skates that aren't boots same with ski boots?

Can't comment on grousing as I've never done it, nor ever want to, I prefer to see my grouse gettin on in the world not flying around dodging shotgun pellets..

My argument is also about getting your feet wet as well..  do you attempt to keep your feet dry or accept they're gonna get wet but make preparation in that regards..  IE, so my feet are pissed through, but so what, with these sandals they'll be dry again in a minute..

As to mountain rescue teams, set in their ways no doubt..  like anyone else who wears boots, not up to scratch on footwear evolution of the last three decades..  

What does an ultra runner wear?.. boots? I think not, what do fell runners wear, boots, I think not..  you'd think a fell runner would be cautious on account of his ankles gettin twisted every minute on the fells but no, they elect to use running shoes for a reason..  

Can you think why a fell runner wears running shoes and not boots?..

30 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Coz they are running , not walking ?

Nail on head Stubby

If I take Vespasian advise I need to

Go to a gym to strengthen ankles

Leave my waterproofs and lunch at home to save weight

Ignore all conventional wisdom on mountain walking

Except having wet feet within 5 mins of leaving the car

Except cuts and bruises to the ankles when scrambling on loose screed

Or alternatively wear the comfy lightweight walking boots which are sitting by the door and ignore the remarks of a random on the Internet who is talking tosh.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Nail on head Stubby

Or alternatively wear the comfy lightweight walking boots which are sitting by the door and ignore the remarks of a random on the Internet who is talking tosh.

Not to mention lacerations to your toes from the sandals Oh and also never use a Husqvarna strimmer they are shyte apparently .

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Marino wool socks prevent that but , as in everything you know best .

Right on Stubby, I know best...   don't you forget it!!!!!!!..

2 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Nail on head Stubby

My own philosophy on being out in the great outdoors is to keep it simple..   less is more.. 

and, if you're gonna be gettin scratched up an have scree whack away at your ankles, I suggest you keep away from such areas till you have your wits about you...

What, with your worry for twisted ankles and scree blasting you around the legs at every turn, I'm wondering if you should be out in the hills in the first place...

Perhaps a dog for you, it might be a safer option..  a dog, a  local park, a half hr walk...  much better for one as clumsy as you..  

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Not to mention lacerations to your toes from the sandals Oh and also never use a Husqvarna strimmer they are shyte apparently .

Hiking sandals aren't flip flops.. design has moved on over the years.....   And, Husqvarna aren't shyte, I never said that?..  I just said Stih are better...  for me anyways, dealer network not two minutes down the street..