walking hiking boot

Johny Walker

I bought a £200 pair of Alt-Berg Yantans and just could not get on with them as I have thin ankles; all the leather around the ankles rubbed, even after 200 miles walking.

I then paid £135 for some material Scarpas and love them; very comfortable indeed.

Meindl, Scarpa, Lowa, Altberg, Salomon, Berghaus.....

Any of the decent brands should be good and last. Just depends on the shape of your foot as to which fits best. Don't buy online and try to find a decent shop which does proper fitting. A decent shop will also let you wear them round the house and take them back if you decide they don't fit. If you can't get a good fit Altberg do custom boots, although expensive and there's often a 6 month waiting list.

Also try on at the end of the day as your feet will be up to 1/2 size bigger, possibly even more.

Best pair I ever had were German army mountain boots (possibly Lowa), unused, bought for £100 from a surplus store

16 minutes ago, DuncanH said:

Meindl, Scarpa, Lowa, Altberg, Salomon, Berghaus.....

Any of the decent brands should be good and last. Just depends on the shape of your foot as to which fits best. Don't buy online and try to find a decent shop which does proper fitting. A decent shop will also let you wear them round the house and take them back if you decide they don't fit. If you can't get a good fit Altberg do custom boots, although expensive and there's often a 6 month waiting list.

Also try on at the end of the day as your feet will be up to 1/2 size bigger, possibly even more.

Best pair I ever had were German army mountain boots (possibly Lowa), unused, bought for £100 from a surplus store

Agree with all of that, especially 'go to a shop and try them'.  Sizes vary between manufacturers so a 10 isn't always a 10.

And where do I find the emojis for a Thumbs Up?

A lot depends on what you are going to be using them for - serious hill walking or just country rambles - how often, and in what conditions. And also your budget - I wouldn't suggest scrimping on something that you may be spending many hours in day after day.

I agree with what DuncanH says above - make sure you try before you buy, wearing the type of socks you would wear while walking and also try them on an incline (decent shops have a ramp for this) to make sure your foot isn't sliding around inside (=blisters).

Once you've tried on and found the perfect fit, don't forget to go online and find the best price ;)

On brands, I've got a couple(winter/summer) of pairs of Scarpa which I love - Beghaus, Meindl, Mammut, Grisport,  La Sportiva will all do a good job for you if they give you the fit you need.

And avoid Karrimor or anything else you can get at Sports Direct!

Lowa mountain,patrol or combat depending on your needs,i personally have worn mountain gtx for 15 years,wouldnt wear anything else.....expensive but i believe with some things you get what you pay for.I have worn the same pair for nearly 15 years,had them resoled after about 10 years for about 60 quid,should get another 5 years out of them so 20 years for about 200 quid...absolute bargain in my book ,hate to admit it but the Germans know how to make a good boot :adore:

Others may differ as it is always a personal choice :biggrin: