Decay Fungi and Trees - What Would You Like to Know?

Acer ventura

Hi

I'm just back from delivering the likelihood of failure part of VALID at the ISA Conference in Washington DC.  Whilst there, I caught up with Lynne Boddy - who was also presenting - to talk about the mycological content of VALID Tree Risk-Benefit Assessment training when it goes live this autumn.  Lynne, as generous with her wealth of knowledge as ever, was happy to help out and I now reckon I've got the key parts in place.  However, as I've been going through my own re-calibration on tree risk-benefit assessment and management, I thought this would be a great opportunity to take stock and see what questions you guys would like answering about the role of decay fungi in likelihood of failure.

Far more importantly, and serendipitously, Lynne's currently writing a book about fungi and trees that's pitched at arboriculturists, rather than mycologists.  I raised the idea of canvassing opinion about what you would like to see specifically covered in such a book with her and she thought it a great idea.  There might be a top 10 myth busters section, or similar.  It strikes me there's two parts here that are in keeping with a the risk-benefit approach outlined by the NTSG.

What questions would you like to see answered about decay fungi and the likelihood of failure?

What questions would you like to see answered about fungi and the benefits that trees provide?  I'm thinking of the habitat and mycorrhizae value side of things.

I’m happy to be emailed directly if you’d rather not post on a public forum.

Cheers

Acer ventura

You spoke of the role of decay fungi in likelihood of failure. Actually, if wood is decayed, the role may not matter as much at a certain moment, as the fact the wood is decayed.

But I think some relevant concerns may revolve around whether certain types of decay fungi can be identified and whether their presence is much bigger concern than other kinds of fungi. Are there ones that are no big deal, like what decays a small pruning cut area for a few years ... vs. another that means keeping a closer eye on the tree or justifying biting nails over.

Is there a practical way to list the role of things, conditions practices that may commonly trigger different fungi? Or the worst of the decay fungi.

I get the impression that it's common knowledge among experienced arborists that decayed or rotted wood tends to be weaker than "healthy" or sound wood.  So it seems like decay fungi's "role" in likelihood of failure is not poorly understood.

Edited by mdvaden

also how to go about managing a tree with a known species that is colonising a part of a tree where it is not known to usually inhabit 

Eg, Psuedoinonotus dryadeus fruiting and decaying wood at the top of trunks rather than at the base of a tree where it may be subject to differing loads.

IMG_4780.JPG