Show us your Log deck set up

Bustergasket

I have been trying some different layouts for my japa 2 chain log deck, ended up removing the non driven rollers and moving it tight to the machine, i have run a few lengths through and it seems ok, has anyone tried this ? or different layouts, ?IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.3ab0e02aeab95b1ef1cac349bfbec26f.JPG i know it's only a basic deck but it works well

IMG_1354.JPG

That's a clever idea, especially if you're on your own. Saves the logs going sideways off the table. 

We always have 2 people on the machine so we just use an extension, I just load with pallet forks so I can give any bent logs a nudge into the processor.

We had to make our own table because they only do massive towable ones for our machine. 

DSC_0399.JPG

Yes mostly iam on my own so iam hopefull it will work better, only things i can see that maybe a prob is bendy bits ! but they always have potential to cause problems, and those spirals which used to rotate then tilt and twist then drop through the gap won't be able to do it anymore, however iam sure there will be another set of issues with it set up like this, how do you get on with the Tajfun ?

Yeah, there's no real way around bent logs, I tend to cut them up in pile then load them straight on.

The tajfuns a really good machine, we've got the 480+ and I haven't seen a faster processor. Having 3 powered rollers is a bonus and there's a lot of extra space inside for bent logs. There's also 2 flaps inside to hold the last bit of log up and they've added some plates around the infeed that divert the logs in nicely. 

We had the 400 before and that was similar and did 3500tons with no major issues.

On 8/5/2017 at 14:41, gdh said:

Yeah, there's no real way around bent logs, I tend to cut them up in pile then load them straight on.

The tajfuns a really good machine, we've got the 480+ and I haven't seen a faster processor. Having 3 powered rollers is a bonus and there's a lot of extra space inside for bent logs. There's also 2 flaps inside to hold the last bit of log up and they've added some plates around the infeed that divert the logs in nicely. 

We had the 400 before and that was similar and did 3500tons with no major issues.

Yes i have seen those three powered roller decks they look good, i have also seen one of the tajfun's dooing a demo, it did look good think it was the 400 at the apf, how many tones do you do between chain sharpens ? i get on really well with my processor but always in search decent straight hardwood, 3500 tons is a good amount i reckon mines done only about 2200 cube so prob about 1000 ton, i have got to get a covered area sorted for it so its not exposed to the elements, too much to do and never enough time, log orders starting to come in now, so thats good.

Realistically I change it about every 18 tons on 9inch, that's because we have a system of cutting 6 1ton boxes then swapping and I like to run it very sharp.

Talking about amount done, the 480+ is the only processor I know that counts hours (and cubic metres if you set it up right). It's interesting to know I do 300 hours a year but probably not going to help the resale value. :)