Metal Detection

CDMR

11 hours ago, treequip said:

Its still "internet truth" and doesn't stand analysis. A horse shoe lasts about 6 weeks. Only the first mm or so would get any work hardening, and would also wear away as quick as it hardened, assuming the animal was on a paved surface and not on agricultural duty (as most were).

Just because someone put it on the net doesn't make it so

Just as an aside ...When you say a horse shoe lasts about 6 weeks its because the horses hoof has grown to the point of it needing trimming  back which usually results in new shoes being fitted . If the hoof did not grow I think they would last longer ( dependent on road work or grass ) 

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Just as an aside ...When you say a horse shoe lasts about 6 weeks its because the horses hoof has grown to the point of it needing trimming  back which usually results in new shoes being fitted . If the hoof did not grow I think they would last longer ( dependent on road work or grass ) 

The thing with shod animals is that its done to protect the hoof, which in turn means it needs a periodical trim

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

:thumbup:

(33 years as a farrier) 

3 hours ago, treequip said:

The thing with shod animals is that its done to protect the hoof, which in turn means it needs a periodical trim

It needs a trim periodically whether its shod or not . As I said the hoof grows just as your toe nails grow . 

59 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It needs a trim periodically whether its shod or not . As I said the hoof grows just as your toe nails grow . 

This is true, but only in the unnatural state that man keeps livestock, In the wild natural wear would take care of things

Knowing nothing about horses, why are they shod?

I can kind of see why they would need to be around here, as riders seen to prefer riding on roads ( the busier the better!) which I presume would wear their hooves too much, but if they just live in a field or are ridden 'off-road' doesn't nature take care of things?

And what the hell are 'natural balance' shoes? Sounds like something designed by Schole or Clarks

611.gif

Edited by Gary Prentice

27 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Knowing nothing about horses, why are they shod?

I can kind of see why they would need to be around here, as riders seen to prefer riding on roads ( the busier the better!) which I presume would wear their hooves too much, but if they just live in a field or are ridden 'off-road' doesn't nature take care of things?

And what the hell are 'natural balance' shoes? Sounds like something designed by Schole or Clarks

611.gif

Ooopps > :$

On 8/5/2017 at 09:06, spudulike said:

Get a good make metal detector but a few years old to save a few ££££. Most of them are discriminators and will tell you if there is ferrous metal 4-6" relatively easily, larger items deeper.

Whites, Garrett, Minelab, CScope to name but a few. The Garrett Ace 150/250 seem pretty well received machines.

Got an old Cscope from the 80s you can have for £50 delivered if you are interested! Will test its air depth on anything you ask if you like.

Thanks spudulike. I'll pass on the CScope but take the advice.

1 hour ago, CDMR said:

1 hour ago, CDMR said:

I have an old C Scope and have just tested it on my old William Griffiths Damascus barrelled 20 bore and I found it still blips at 12 inches!