log storage

tomm156

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/08/2017 at 08:22, william petts said:

So how would you suggest we do it then? If we were to cut and split into crates we would need thousands of them and they take up room and cost alot, we would still need to take logs out of cage and put into a bag to sell, besides it takes like 5 to 10 mins to fill a bag up by hand and you can visibly see every log going in so you know it's the right size, fully dry etc.

Containerisation is a long term investment. The long term benefits far outweight the cost - no manual handling, massive reduction in labour costs, Firewood drys significantly faster in ventilated containers etc. 1000 containers dried = iro 90K. We sell a lot of timber and wouldn't consider bagging Firewood.

22 hours ago, Luke Owen said:

I've only ever stored in a barn, but that means a lot of manhandling in stacking and removing, thanks for the ideas guys, I'm going to start looking out for crates

Make sure if you buy IBC's with containers in, make sure they don't have brake fluid, caustic products or similar in, as you will find it hard to deal with them or move them on,  Like I mentioned I will post some photos when I get round to it. Good luck.

Edited by arboriculturist

We store in IBC's outside, uncovered. But then again we kiln dry afterwards so it just helps to make that quicker. We can stack them 4 high with the skid steer as long as the hardstanding is flat.
Have nearly 100 in stock currently but a scrap dealer friend is on permanent look out for more for us as we expand our operations year on year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 15/08/2017 at 08:22, william petts said:

So how would you suggest we do it then? If we were to cut and split into crates we would need thousands of them and they take up room and cost alot, we would still need to take logs out of cage and put into a bag to sell, besides it takes like 5 to 10 mins to fill a bag up by hand and you can visibly see every log going in so you know it's the right size, fully dry etc.

I think you have raised a valid point will, handling them once gives you a quality control, i have managed to get my process down to just touching the wood once when i unload, the only other way i can see that would allow you to deliver quality would be to invest in proper log cleaner / grader and use rotator to load a tipper .... which is plenty of till, still if you had the volume then manually handling the wood is a no go

I would suggest a skid steer/tractor/excavator with a bucket matching the volume (or a percentage of struck) of your delivery bags. Then make or buy a bag holder so you can tip directly into the bags with no misses.

Your quality control should be during the processing stage imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk