Ms181 for carving

Tony181

Hi, I am wanting to try my hand at a bit of carving. I cannot justify buying a purpose carving saw so thought maybe I could buy a sprocket, chain and bar for one of my saws? 

My smallest is a ms181 is there a cheap bar, sprocket and chain combo That can be bought for this? 

Many thanks Tony 

I'm no expert on carving, but isn't the MS181 a bit too Un-controllable for this type of work?  They wobble about like a jelly on those anti vibe springs.  I would have thought it would be difficult to use in this situation especially going anywhere near the tip of the bar.

Just thinking aloud. 

3 hours ago, Daniël Bos said:

They're fine.

Wobbling about like a jelly only happens when you put pressure on, which you wouldn't.

I've used my 180 for 10 years or so now with a carving bar, and it's still more than my artistic abilities need...

That I can understand, because a 180 is nothing like a 181.  When it comes to moving about, the 180 is on rubbers, and the 181 on silly stretchy bouncy springs. ;)

i have  2 very nearly new stihl 1/4 sprocket (11236402073) for a 181 if you want one for slightly cheaper than new? pm me.

also have a 8inch cannon bar if its any good to you? its quarter tip not dime though so you would need the sprocket. ccq-c1-8-50. vgc barely used.

sprockets £20 inc postage

bar £40 inc postage

sorry for shameless sale. just reminded me i had stuff knocking about in back of workshop!

20170808_110741.jpg

• Like 1

I use an ms181 for detail work.  Have done for about 5 years now.  hands down my Favorite detail saw with a 12 inch Sugi hara dime tip.  The balance is great and at slow speeds (rarely using more than half power) the tip is very stable.  you need a 1/4 pitch sprocket.  Contact RobD on here or use his website  https://www.sugiharabarsuk.co.uk/product-category/group-1-stihl-chainsaws/   he sells all kinds of carving stuff (good service too)

If you dont want to spend money on a new set then the advert above from Bill is not a bad price to start off.  I find the Stihl bars are made of pot-metal and burn out very quickly but fine for a try-buy

remember to run the chain v slack (hanging below the bar with whole of drive-link showing) and grind the heel of the teeth off the chain or they will rub against the wood as the chain goes round the tight nose radius and overheat... burning your bar out in minuets 

Loads of advice over on the carving section, just read back through the old threads

• Like 1