Do'er upper chipper

ostosix

Hi folks, picked up this chipper as a project. Dont know much about it aside from it being a Ducker HS460? licensed version of a TP? Cant find much on net about it. Not sure which engine, max diameter etc. Any info help would be welcome.

Apart from hydraulic leak in the lower roller motor and some horrendous welding on the chassis all looks fairly good inside.

one blade has got damage and no sure it will sharpen out. Do these blades need to be sharpened in a pair to same dimension? Or can i just replace one? 

The anvil is worn to a radius edge hopefully it will just be able to be turned over but dont mind replacing it if needed. Engine looks ok and belts dont look bad.

When i tried it out the power rollers didnt seem to have much power, they wouldnt snap a small fork, is this adjustable? There is a valve which maybe adjustable on the manifold but never thought to try it at the time.

All round impressed with the quality of it though, seriously well made. Just casing/cowling welding and it could be a good machine.

Any help and pointers would be very welcome guys. Great forum this btw.

IMG_6855.thumb.JPG.77ba62cd5f0b087684b0ab9c3913532e.JPGIMG_6857.thumb.JPG.847d473e2e48a874d3ccf964c74da938.JPG

Hydraulic systems generally have a 'blow off' valve which allows oil to go back to tank should the rollers get jammed. This, one some GreenMech machines is set at 3000psi, above that pressure, a valve opens to allow the extra pressure to bypass the system. Over time, this valve may work at a lower pressure giving the rollers less strength. If you find that value from TP or Ducker, have the valve reset to that and it could transform that issue.

I would check that the controls function to the correct standard of today. This can be found at the Health and Safety Executive webpage. If it doesn't comply then some more work or alterations may be needed prior to it being used in anger.

Blades should be sharpened uniformly so that the cut efficiently and to a degree, the balance of the rotor is maintained. The shear bar should also have a square edge, either buy a new one or have the old one built up with hard face weld and re-profiled on a surface grinder.

Good luck with your endeavours and keep us updated - it is good to see someone 'have a go'.

• Like 1

Cheers, doesnt seem to be a heavy leak just more of a weep but that much old chips stuck around the bottom roller i could get close enogh to see it directly. 

Pete, ill try and get a copy of the makers manual hopefully may have details in there about the valve.

Happy enough to get a new set of blades and helpful if the anvil can be built up. Suppose this would be a specalist welding job? Is the anvil the same material as the blades? 

Where are you based? Previous suppliers of the TP would be Osbournes down Southampton way, Ibbotts near Huntingdon, Price's at the top of Lancashire and now Jas P Wilson in Dumfrieshire.

The shear bar could be built up by and re-profiled by an engineering company but sometimes, buying new is quicker and cheaper.

As said earlier, my biggest concern would be that the controls satisfy the current HSE spec, otherwise, the machine is scrap. From memory, the TP system was fairly simple and easy job. A call to Wilson's with the serial number would be a good investment!

In Lincoln, machine only for private use so as long as its safe to operate it and clean to run H&S stuff isnt a major issue, could be wrong of course. Such things as an emergency stop i would prefer out of common sense as it doesnt have one at the moment.

If i get plenty of use out of it ill probably get a new mini chipper in a few years but couldnt afford the exspense at the moment. 

Ill ring round and price up the anvil if its less than 100 ill probably buy one unless i can get it built up cheap.

The TP Shear bars have quite a bit of adjustment on them and they can be rotated as well as turned so you have 4 edges to play with, if all 4 edges have been used you could just get it re-ground  and start again. I don't see why it would need to be built up unless its been re-ground many times, and if it has i'd just buy a new one.