Lanyard Options

Gallagher28

Hi all

Recently passed my CS38, starting to gather the gear now as I'm eager to get back up the trees (hired it for the course). I've reached the point on my shopping list where I have to consider my lanyard options. 

When on the course I was given a rope grab, I think that is what its called, the ones that lock with the cam action. It was okay, but I didn't like when my instructor told me to put all my weight on my lanyard during an abseil through a union parallel to the floor (he said to do that so the prussik wouldn't get jammed in the union if it had weight on it) that in order to loosen the cam, I had to pull my whole weight off the lanyard, feed some rope through and then drop down again, It seemed inefficient and was hard to deal with when out of reach of a branch. 

What other options are there apart form these rope grabs, there're not the cheapest things in the world for me and I don't want to fork out too much for something I considered to have a flaw.

Any suggestions?

Just a side note when I told my assessor, he said I should not have been hanging off the D rings anyway because that's not what they're for. This was the only occasion I was fully supported by them on the course, other times I would be stood on something. Nevertheless I assumed them to be life support and just as strong as my central attachment point. I was given a petzl sequoia if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Art positioner is probably the best rope grab on the market,its easy to tend and easy to loosen but its pricey.

Your probably at the stage where a hitch of your choice,distel, knut or vt etc paired with a hitch tending pulley is both ergonomical and easy to use.

Plenty of old threads on hear about it.

I ll post up a link for youtube in a mo

• Thanks 1

For a cheap and effective lanyard you can use a hitch with a cheap micro pulley to tend it. Don't need to buy a sewn eye to eye hitch, just tie your own. Will be a good starting point. 

Invest in "the tree climbers companion" by Jeff Jepsen, a wealth of knowledge in there to get you started. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your instructor is right a lanyard is not for life support, it is a work positioning device and adheres to different standards, the hip rings also are not classed as life support although some harnesses like the treemotion have options where you can use central D's as life support.

If you look at an ART rope positioner its design is very different from the ART lock/spider jack again down to the fact the positioner is built to be used as a work positioning device and not life support so adheres to different standards in design.

when ascending up rope over rope as we refer to it, the lanyard should be used with you body weight supported by a branch the lanyard securely holds your position and yes stops you falling the side D's are  not intended to support 100% of your weight whilst hanging un-supported or for ascent in and out of the tree.

i would use a simple prussik and swing cheek micro pulley as a cheap and good alternative. The only issue is it can become sticky, prone to jamming and hard to pay out slack when there is a lot of friction and weight on the line.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WesD said:

I have a petzl Grillon you can have for £45 posted. You'll need to use your own rope and karabiners. 

Its a good device to use for a lanyard however I have just moved over from all petzl to all ART. 

https://youtu.be/o5TT8mKUWV4

Thanks for the offer Wes, but im going to be making a setup with a distel hitch or prussik w/micro pulley.