New Forum feedback

donnk

I can't say I am a fan, I have tried for a while, but I don't like change....

I liked the old unread posts page, I check arbtalk daily but like to see everything on one page and decide if I wanted to read it or not. 

I now have to scroll down as you can only get 5 threads on the screen at a time.. Can we just have an unread posts with the title?

• Like 1

Been a bit busy since the new site appeared so haven't sent much time on here, but one thing that I didn't like is the thread details not coming up when you hold your mouse over the subject, from that I used to decide if it was worth a read or not, now I have the view the thread instead.

Can't say I'm a huge fan atm but I really hate change and it will grow on me.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 13:19, Steve Bullman said:

Thanks for taking the one to register and leave feedback.

i will look at the software later and see if turning off avatars at a user level is possible.

youre right about the pinned posts, I neglected them and will sort them out later 

the grid does seem to be putting people off, perhaps I will rethink it.  I really thought most people just used the today's post button to browse 

I hadn't even noticed the 'Today's posts' or the view 'Unread Posts' options. Having just tried them I don't like them and don't think they'd be much use to me. I only check 4 or 5 of the forums which are of use to me and even then usually only on a Monday or Friday, and probably not every week. Finding relevant posts amongst the unfiltered lists of posts on those 2 pages is more time consuming than going in to each forum.

1 hour ago, DuncanH said:

I hadn't even noticed the 'Today's posts' or the view 'Unread Posts' options. Having just tried them I don't like them and don't think they'd be much use to me. I only check 4 or 5 of the forums which are of use to me and even then usually only on a Monday or Friday, and probably not every week. Finding relevant posts amongst the unfiltered lists of posts on those 2 pages is more time consuming than going in to each forum.

You can customise an activity stream of your own that will just show unread posts in the forum sections you want to follow. It's quite clever really.

I have to admit I didn't like the new forum one bit to start with, to the point where I thought Ah well, won't be going back there much.

Having taken a little time to figure out how to change the layout, customise a search that I want to see and saving that activity stream to my bookmarks bar I now quite like it. In fact it isn't much different to the old layout once you do that.

First of all thanks for your hard work in providing the forums and my admiration in view of all the hard work to provide this massive upgrade . 

Like the post format for me easier to read, 

Finding my way around but got frustrated trying to get to forums - didn't realise at first that I could click on the word to get there - was using drop down arrow only at first. 

Finding as others have commented on lots of scrolling seems to be needed. 

Also flashing ads a real distraction for me - all I've done is zoom in so I don't see them at all - not what you and your advertisers want! 

Hope the feedback is useful for you. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/07/2017 at 13:14, Steve Bullman said:

Thanks for the feedback.

which areas do you think look cluttered?

i did look at xenforo extensively, even purchased a license and had it installed on my server running the arbtalk database for a time.  I just decided that it was great at being a forum software but that was all,

so many plug ins were required for it to be anything else.  ips is a better think for a more commercial forum, everything Integrates so much better 

Having time to use the forum, i am really liking it. Its nice to use on mobile and desktop. VBULLETIN and XEN are like you say hit and miss. Its great to see arbtalk moving forward, it is a great resource i do use often. Well done, i know first hand such a site takes enormous time and effort to maintain.