Kickback – the thoughts of a victim’s father

Paul Kirkley

That’s a very powerful and sobering read. Will absolutely be in my mind when taking a risk next.
I’m assuming colleges lay on horror slide shows and stories of accidents already to highlight the dangers. An account like that from a family member would be far more hard hitting.
I disagree also with tip guards, increased training levels and better regulation would be my suggestion.

• Like 1

I would just like to add something that isn't exactly about work positioning but I think is relevant. This is not specific to this very sad case but may prevent others.

I think the training/development of new people to Arb' work needs to change. Not in terms of tickets but when people start work with companies. I'm still relatively new to arb work so I'm talking from personal experience and that of others I know who are still relatively new in the industry. Very often you are pushed hard and expected to work quickly..which often leads to rushing..this then leads to corners being cut..one of which is often work positioning. I have found myself many times about to cut because I feel I need to be faster only to check myself and realise my positioning is not adequate. The amount of times I've also heard 'just one hand it' or for small branches in awkward positions when I'm using a silky because honestly when it's that awkward for me it's actually faster. I'm often asked, why I didn't just use the saw?

I am lucky to work with some pretty great people now, who don't have ridiculous expectations, who do push me to work harder and better but don't push me to stupid limits. They are also excellent at explaining things to me throughout the job, regardless as to whether it effects me at the time or not. However as the above probably suggests this has not always been the case. My best (or worst as it were) example of this is this incident:

The first company I worked for we were worked hard and fast and on the job training rarely seemed to happened. One day I was sent to fell some trees behind a barn at the yard because brash was needed for new guys chipper tickets. The boss asked me to fell a tree in 60 seconds. He told me I should be able to... I'll put this in perspective, despite having the relevant ticket I had rarely been given the opportunity to fell anything. This tree was bigger than the bar length of my saw, something I had never tackled AND it was down a very steep bank (the kind you slide down rather than walk), the barn wall was a couple of meters or so behind the tree so my escape routes were over a small drainage/stream that was down a foot/half foot drop behind the tree. Because of this drop finding footing behind the tree was also very difficult. 

Now given my inexperience, the tree positioning and the boss standing at the top of the bank telling me to get it done in 60 seconds I was under a lot of pressure. But it took me shouting at him to get him to explain how I should make a gob cut when the tree is bigger than bar length. Altogether he was not very happy with me. Perhaps you find the acceptable behaviour. But to me it's actions like this that put 'newbies' at a higher risk and this can be when bad habits develop as well. I feel that this is something that needs to change in order to prevent future accidents.

This has turned into a longer post then intended but I hope I've got my point across.

Arbmish there are loads of cowboy outfits in this business. Keep looking til you find a decent company.
Ignore twats like mike hill with useless comments.
I've worked for some right fecking idiots in my time.
Life's too short, don't make it shorter.
Good luck
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2

Arbmish there are loads of cowboy outfits in this business. Keep looking til you find a decent company.
Ignore twats like mike hill with useless comments.
I've worked for some right fecking idiots in my time.
Life's too short, don't make it shorter.
Good luck
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks, like I mentioned I’ve already found a few! :)

Haha and as for Mike Hill, I’d say that’s the kind of attitude that causes problems.
  • Like 1

Good post Arbmish - having a new boss where i am who is more focused on safety than flat out speed i agree we all need to sometimes stop - think and then act not rush and maybe not go home!

Treat newbies right, build up steady and hey one day they are the experienced person leading the newbie, nice new cycle begins. Hammer newbies and they learn to cut corners and take silly risks - then may well pass onto another newbie.........which cycle sounds best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArbMish said:

Thanks, like I mentioned I’ve already found a few! :)

Haha and as for Mike Hill, I’d say that’s the kind of attitude that causes problems.

Did the nasty shouty boss hurt your feelings?

Show me on your Teddy Bear where it hurts the most.

• Haha 1