What first aid kit do you carry in your vehicle?

Joe Newton

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

I would have thought enough to treat 2 casualties would be enough.

I'd be looking at 2 celox (gauze not powder), 2 israeli dressings, 2 cats etc, along with other handy stuff. 

Cling film is a real handy thing to have. It's a bandage, burn dressing and more

Why the preference to the celox gauze joe ?

Im i being fick or summat..?

Grab a trauma kit off Ebay Joe.

There are plenty to choose from,have a bit of surgical latex tubing in there too.The Trauma kit will/should come with some torniquets but its handy stuff to have.

I have a big first aid kit and a little one for the "whoopsies and the owies" plasters,tweezers,eye wash etc.Saves blokes rummaging through the big kit looking for a plaster.

25 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Why the preference to the celox gauze joe ?

Im i being fick or summat..?

Imagine trying to apply loose granules from 70' in the wind. What doesn't go in your eyes will vanish into the wind. Its not practical. The gauze won't go anywhere but the affected area, and is much easier to remove by the surgeons too. 

11 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

It can also be flushed out of the wound by an arterial bleed far more easily than the gauze.

hadn't considered that, but makes sense. Its just far more efficient from what I can see, celox is one of the game changers in trauma first aid, but it fires nothing if it vanishes in the wind!

Just now, Mike Hill said:

Grab a trauma kit off Ebay Joe.

There are plenty to choose from,have a bit of surgical latex tubing in there too.The Trauma kit will/should come with some torniquets but its handy stuff to have.

I have a big first aid kit and a little one for the "whoopsies and the owies" plasters,tweezers,eye wash etc.Saves blokes rummaging through the big kit looking for a plaster.

Makes sense mate, you can pick up a minor first aid kit which is pretty comprehensive for next to f all. 

It's the "when it hits the fan" kit which I want and hope not too use.

Are there any every day items which people carry? I've mentioned cling film as a good idea, duct tape is another one...

From personal experience, arterial bleeding, told to remove the tourniquet by 999 operator. Put a large wad of sterile pads on wound and told to apply pressure.

hold limb in air/ above heart if possible.

as joe newton says any first aid kit with a large wound dressing costs very little. Could save your life.

take care.

3 minutes ago, TreeswingerPerth said:

We have a kit in each truck , just general dressings , bandages , celox gauze , combat dressings , black insulation tape , gloves /scissors / cling film .

So far so good , I carry a celox gauze in my trouser pocket and a combat dressing in my helmet .

nice to hear or another cling film user. 

I've heard that anything between the helmet webbing and shell is a bad idea as that's kind of the "crumple zone". I don't know how true that is, it makes more sense than any inaccessible pouch attached to your harness.

To be honest I'd be interested if anyone could unwrap and apply any israeli bandage with its two layers of shrink wrap under a heavy bleed. 

31 minutes ago, TreeswingerPerth said:

We have a kit in each truck , just general dressings , bandages , celox gauze , combat dressings , black insulation tape , gloves /scissors / cling film .

So far so good , I carry a celox gauze in my trouser pocket and a combat dressing in my helmet .

That's ok until you have a situation involving a possible spinal injury where you don't want to be moving somebody around to remove their lid to get to a dressing. :)