Tree Surgery Business Sale

Murdock

On 07/08/2017 at 21:30, WesD said:

I think you would be better selling your kit and getting what you can back money wise that way. Your audience would be greater as people will travel to buy a van chipper saws and cutters etc etc however the business sale has a target audience of your area and frankly the reputation is yours not the businesses the phone numbers and contacts are worthless to someone with no rappor with those customers and logos web sites etc well that ain't worth much in this tech savvy world. 

Sorry for being blunt but if you are in a rush for some money return, sell the assets and forget the business. 

I think you are completely wrong, the staff would stay with the business and my clientele know them very well, I have known of business's (tree surgery) in the area changing hands and retaining nearly all of their clientele.  I'm in no rush, I'm earning good money so there is no panic.  Sorry to be blunt, I did expect a lot of negative feedback from the primadonnas of the arb forum, so its all good.  My experience has been to the contrary, I know of tee surgery and gardening (landscaping too) business's that have changed hands retaining nearly all of their clientele, the asking price isn't actually far off £60.00/per client including the machinery, if you cant earn money off that then best go back to MacDonald's.  

On 08/08/2017 at 10:49, dan494 said:

I'd imagine that's wage drawn, not profits??

Yes, as I am a sole trader not a ltd company (I was ltd once), anyway, 40k is the taxable profit drawn on the last years accounts, if it were a ltd company it would be your wage, say 30k wth 10k profit, or a wage of 20k with 20k profit which you pay corporation tax on......

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You said Monday you were leaving the country so open to offers, now there's no rush.

Anyway, if you put it on Arbtrader you wouldn't get the comments.

Yes, "on Monday", I said I was leaving the country, not, "I'm leaving the country on "Monday."  I don;t have to leave, and I am definitely not going to rush 

On 08/08/2017 at 08:01, Warners said:

I've seen these type of thing before.. Goodwill doesn't count for much... Signed contracts do.. 

Sell the assets for as much as you can... maybe as a job lot if you want a quick sale.. Your client list might mean that your job lot of kit will be more attractive.. however I purchased a small gardening firm years ago and most of the clients weren't interested.. So the value for me was in the kit.

Good luck with your move.. :thumbup1:

Sorry to here it didn't work out well for you, there would be a handover period which is valuable as clients get a chance to know the new man in charge and for word to get around, that looks a lot better than just fucking off and leaving a book of clients.  Which isnt very professional at all. 

On 09/08/2017 at 10:43, surveyor said:

For what it's worth,  I bought a survey business, albeit not for this much cash, but also inherited the vehicle payments and the major instrument payments, and it was very valuable to inherit the phone number particularly.  It enabled me to have a steady flow of work from the get go. This enabled me to pay off all my debts associated with the business after about a year.  Of course I bought the business from the owner, who had been my boss. 

Exactly, thanks, there would be a reasonably timed handover period, and I would insure that who ever bought it would be up for the job.  When I say promptly leaving the country, I mean hopefully within a year.

7 minutes ago, Murdock said:

I think you are completely wrong, the staff would stay with the business and my clientele know them very well, I have known of business's (tree surgery) in the area changing hands and retaining nearly all of their clientele.  I'm in no rush, I'm earning good money so there is no panic.  Sorry to be blunt, I did expect a lot of negative feedback from the primadonnas of the arb forum, so its all good.  My experience has been to the contrary, I know of tee surgery and gardening (landscaping too) business's that have changed hands retaining nearly all of their clientele, the asking price isn't actually far off £60.00/per client including the machinery, if you cant earn money off that then best go back to MacDonald's.  

Which bit is wrong?

Selling kit has a greater audience?

Potential buyers will more than likely be from your area hence smaller audience?

You have built the relationships with your customers it is your reputation they are paying for?

Tech savvy world web sites, logos and business cards are ten a penny?

Im intrigued to hear which is wrong?!

For what it is worth I was offering advice not being negative.

If you think hunk this place is full of primadonnas why post it on here? (Strange)

MacDonalds pretty sure you mean McDonalds and to be frank only ever eaten there nothing else. 

You have a  turnover of 70k and 40k of that is profit now my math says that leaves 30k operating costs now you say the staff will stay customers know THEM well, implying more than one now what are you paying them as well as fuel, machinery downtime, insurance vehicle and business  etc etc etc

lets say staff of 2 minimal number on 14k each (McDonalds wage) that leaves 2k to spend on everything else . . . . Doesn't look like a good venture this? Either that or the books are wrong and the profit is less hmmm. 

Hows that hat for a negative break down?