Tree protection fencing in areas of hard standing

RidArb

This might be a bit of a straightforward question, but i can't seem to find a definitive answer elsewhere.

When erecting tree protection fencing around a tree that is adjacent to a car park, I assume the specifications of the fencing is exactly the same as anywhere else, and the installation would be achieved by breaking out of an area of the tarmac to install the posts?

Additionally, how would this change if it the surface was concrete or a hard surface to be retained? 

I appreciate the ultimate aim is to protect the rooting area, so the surface is already going to be giving some protection, providing that it is preexisting, but surely the fencing is aimed to protect the tree as a whole during works?

Thanks in advance 

Are you specifying the fencing or trying to follow an AMS/TPP?

If the former, I'd say take the site specific circumstances into account, be reasonable and justify your reasoning. In a similar situation not long ago I spec'd no fence or additional ground protection on a parking area with a TPO tree, but a protective wooden box guard around the stem to protect from impact from delivery lorries.

If the latter, contact the document's author and ask them if it isn't clear; I'd say breaking up a good hard surface to drive in temporary posts is quite unreasonable!

In this instance we were quoting to supply and erect the fence and were just given the specification to supply tree protection fencing to BS 5837, I haven't seen the AMS but would expect to see it if we are awarded the job. 

Thanks for the reply's everyone, it has been very useful