what level of detail?

Ok, so, I know where I am in terms of skill level and confidence with my saw, and that is not great, and I know that at some point on a complex/detailed work many carvers switch from chainsaw to other tools like power sanders or angle grinders. My question is, at what point is it more efficient/effective to switch? I kind of am looking for pointers to the level of skill with the saw that I should be working toward.

I use a wide variety of tools, but I normally do everything with saws 95% minimum. Sometimes you need another tool but I would recommend pushing yourself with just your saws as much as possible. A lot of novice carvers fall into the trap of carving a bit, then sanding with grinder, then reworking with saw, then grinding again etc.

Reckon it's all personal preference. I get on the handle chisels asap. Much prefer it to chainsawing and often feel I've been wasting time trying to do too much with powertools or saws when it's quicker more pleasant and nicer to use hand tools

Flexcut box sets are the shizzle

Sent from my SM-G390F using Arbtalk mobile app

Reckon it's all personal preference. I get on the handle chisels asap. Much prefer it to chainsawing and often feel I've been wasting time trying to do too much with powertools or saws when it's quicker more pleasant and nicer to use hand tools

Flexcut box sets are the shizzle

Sent from my SM-G390F using Arbtalk mobile app

That's interesting, I started off many years back with mallet and chisels but switched to saws because of time. What would take a full day carving traditionally will only take an hour or two with saws. I just couldn't compete on price with edge tools. Still nice to work them when needed though 👍

I believe the thing to do is go as far as you " dare" with the saw without ruining something you've spent hours on, especially smaller more delicate pieces which need intricate detail.

If the finish for e.g. requires a sanded smooth look, then other tools it is ....

but if you've pushed as far as you can with the saw, you will improve, get closer to your finished piece and as a happy bonus, have less sanding etc to do.

Don't get me wrong, I like using my hands and chisels, it's a nice way to work but not to remove wood fast.

Hi ,just find your own way some things will be mostly saw work but others will be alot of power tool work it depends what you are carving ,owls,bears its mostly the saw but say a castle , with ivy growing up it there will be alot of power tool work, whatever gets you where you want to be when the piece is done , I use all sorts from saws, to dremils and chisels the one I would be lost without is my filling sandet , just work with what makes it a happy thing to do , have a go with other peoples power tools if you like what they do then go get one of your own I may not use my dremal for 3/4 months but still glad I have it you would be welcome to come and have a go with whatever powertools I have if you want to check out some diffrent kit just P M me

Cheers Mark

I use multiple grinders/ sanders / dremels and sometimes chisels but I try to do as much with the saw as I can because it saves me time and gives me more satisfaction when I can do small details with the saw.

Hi..  when i first started (some 6 years or so ago) i would switch to sanders etc pretty early on.  As i got more confident and competent with a saw i did more and more with the saw.  Now i am 95% saw.  Push yourself to learn to get finer and finer details with teh saw and you will see improvement quickly