Shoulder and bicep surgery

Taupotreeman

Tbh it was probably the first time in my life I properly listened to consultants, Drs and physios, . The first 8 weeks post op it was strapped in a sling permanently to my chest, it is something I would never want to experience again, hence the listening . Got 90 odd % movement back .

I have the sling and I'm in it for six weeks. Have to loosen it off every now and again to prevent cramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I had my shoulder strapped to my chest in this way for ages after a complete shoulder replacement after it was smashed to match wood in an accident . Had lots of sessions in the hospital pool standing with the elbow pressed to my hip and rotating the for arm in an arc out and back against the resistance of the water . I dont think it did any good as I have no rotator cuff muscles any more on that side .

I had my shoulder strapped to my chest in this way for ages after a complete shoulder replacement after it was smashed to match wood in an accident . Had lots of sessions in the hospital pool standing with the elbow pressed to my hip and rotating the for arm in an arc out and back against the resistance of the water . I dont think it did any good as I have no rotator cuff muscles any more on that side .

How do you work with it Stubby? Continuing pain, physio etc. Does it limit your abilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Anything above chest height or extended arm has its limitations for me too. I don't think you ever get the muscle strength back , but learn to adapt to what you have. I cant throw a ball overhand , and as Stubby commented about light bulbs, I have similar problems.

I still get periods of neck pain where everything is pulling tight, it will be 15 years since I had mine repaired.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Taupotreeman said:

Well, update; turns out the tear was irreparable so the surgeon carried out a biceps tenodesis instead. The sling is off and the rehab begins. Stiff and sore now I'm trying to stretch it and use it.

Good luck my friend . One thing please don't try and do any more than the physio recommends . I think I tried to go at it too hard too soon and buggered it for good . 

Just now, Stubby said:

Good luck my friend . One thing please don't try and do any more than the physio recommends . I think I tried to go at it too hard too soon and buggered it for good . 

Thanks for the advice mate. Think I learnt my lesson from carpal tunnel but always worth a timely reminder.