CIS deductions

john meehan

90 days is a bit harsh for a subbie.

I make it clear from outset no UTR number no get paid. Everyone who works in the game knows the crack anyway. Most subbies tell me they get a good wedge back each year from the CIS anyway.

UTR is no problem.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go

If there was a site clearance job you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really wanted, more than any other job you'd ever wanted, ever, and your entire universe depended upon it, and you could retire to the Dutch Antilles and drink Mojitos into a ripe and content twilight of your years....

But....

The main contractor didn't recognise your letter, and, after spending more time than it took to crack the Enigma code trying to get through to the CIS helpline (I think their actual target time for customer contact is measured in multiples of Enigma code breaking periods) and, when you did get through, the bowler hat said "no mate, that was nearly 20 years ago, we won't give you an updated copy, we don't work like that these days!"

Would you:

(A) sack the job off

(B) register and cop for 20% up front

© not register and cop for 30%

and its only labour element, so we get the invoice broken down mats fuel etc are separate.

From the UTR the gov website tells us the % to stop.

I've given that letter and our UTR to building firms and they don't deduct anything from my payment.

Maybe the TAX man is happy with my companies tax affairs (I always pay my VAT and Corporation Tax on time) and advices them not to deduct any tax?

I've given that letter and our UTR to building firms and they don't deduct anything from my payment.

Maybe the TAX man is happy with my companies tax affairs (I always pay my VAT and Corporation Tax on time) and advices them not to deduct any tax?

ah that's different then. You need a Company UTR (companies pay corp tax) your letter is addressed to you personally. So back to the same boat, in fact worse your letter, not that it was any use anyway, is invalid.

ah that's different then. You need a Company UTR (companies pay corp tax) your letter is addressed to you personally. So back to the same boat, in fact worse your letter, not that it was any use anyway, is invalid.

I have no idea what all this is about.

After working for many CIS registered building companies, utilities contractors etc etc it has come up a couple of times.

I tell them to get someone else to do it if they don't want to pay the full invoice (Which has never happened).

Tree felling commences, I get paid in full.

I went through this a while back.

A groundworks company we've done plenty of work for and have a great relationship with told me that going forward CIS would be unavoidable. It was definitely enabling works for construction.

I reluctantly signed up. I just load 20% onto the quote.[emoji106]

They're not exactly a bundle of laughs on the phone are they Kevin?

I reckon they have a bouncer in their office who punches anyone in the face if he hears the slightest tone of happiness in their voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I have no idea what all this is about.

After working for many CIS registered building companies, utilities contractors etc etc it has come up a couple of times.

I tell them to get someone else to do it if they don't want to pay the full invoice (Which has never happened).

Tree felling commences, I get paid in full.

It happens with all sorts of payments/tickets, we were on a job last year and one of the lads with us hadn't got a cscs card, we were just about to pull off the job when the site agent realised we were serious, he let us crack on with the job in the end.