Small pro saw

jamesd

Which small pro saw is the best to go for? Around the 50cc range I was thinking either a 261 or 550 on a 13 or 15" bar.

My other saws are stihl so probably will stick with them but heard the 261 has had a few problems when they first came Out with needle bearings, is this still the case with the new ones? I'm tempted By the 550 because of this but they don't seem to last long with the people I know who have them.

Any thoughts/experiences or recommendations would Be great!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate my 261 with 16" bar. Got it Oct 15 and it's worked faultlessly. No heatet handle. Smooth, light and easy to start.

I am wary of the bearing issue but the manual says about releasing the chain tension when storing...which i do. No probs -fingers crossed-

Bob

I have a 261c I use with a 16inch bar and I love it nice and light with a fair amount of power. Early m tronic had problems with the fuel pins in the solanoid belive and some early 261s had problems with the clutch drum as already stated but I've used mine for just over a year with no problems.

The 550 had problems with hot starting which I think was due to lack of ventilation around the cylinder and poor piston coatings effecting compression when hot but don't hold me to that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

The 550 had problems with hot starting which I think was due to lack of ventilation around the cylinder and poor piston coatings effecting compression when hot but don't hold me to that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

The hot starting issue with the 550 is in many cases related to operator error.

When the saw is hot, the chocke needs to be pulled up and clicked down (actives high idle), pull until it starts.