Best legal vehicle combination

Twigz

We did a job with a flatbed transit (borrowed from our landscaping crew) as our chipper and truck went down at the same time.

We went and did a couple of small jobs with it, medium conifer removals and some ash reductions.

Left all the cuts quite big and tied everything on.

Was a lot easier and quicker than I thought it was going to be. Wouldn't like to work like that every day but realised that it's easy to complicate jobs and business.

Timon.

I often just use my trailer and grab :thumbup1:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many ways to skin each cat Dave!

That grass strip was approx 2.5m wide and at about 30 degrees. Anything dropped there would likely have bounced into the fence or over it into the road.

So, if I'm keeping tally accurately, we're now up to another 2 guys catching wild lumps from the road, a Section 50 app, TM, a crane, an extra vehicle to tow a chipper, a quote from the fabricator for new fence sections... what's the price tag on that?

Did I miss anything? Apart from the potential to rush everything in the desperate aspiration to try and cram 1/2 a hedge job in on the way home?

Genuinely, and obviously mindful that (domestic) customers can be a funny bunch, there can also be an element of needing to reassure the uninitiated that they are receiving VfM. If they're spending good money, seeing a team trundle away with big kit after 1/2 a day with a fat cheque it can be unsettling. (Not all customers but some)

I would stress, as I think I did previously, it only worked in that instance because it was Euc. Wouldn't have dreamt of using a small chipper on something less accommodating.

OP was looking for ideas that's all....

Small chipper, sharp blades, right tree, restricted access - can be an option but has notable limitations.

I'd just form a nice "brash nest" with the first dozen or so branches I remove, this would then collect all the bigger stuff, it also protects the grass and fence :biggrin:

I guess I just could not face feed a small gravity fed chipper and would expect my lad to. A TW 150 would be about as small as I'd like to go.

Each to their own.

As for stringing jobs out to keep the customer happy and feeling they got VFM, I gave that up many, many years ago. I sell a finished product, i.e. a removed tree/reduced tree/trimmed hedge, etc. How long it takes is immaterial. If ever questioned about the time a job has taken and the cost. I enquire as to which part of they job they feel has not be delivered? I point out I give quotes, not estimates, so everyone knows where they stand and the only one taking a risk is me.

Edited by skyhuck

As for stringing jobs out to keep the customer happy and feeling they got VFM, I gave that up many, many years ago. I sell a finished product

If you turn up on site with big kit, folk rarely question the time spent. You just point at the kit on the drive and say that cost £x.... Most want you gone as soon as possible, a small chipper running all day is way more annoying then a big chipper only running for a few hours IMO.

Maths please,not supposition.

Tom can do 5K a week,Dick can do 3K

Tom makes 40% more per week

Tom also uses a Tractor (A Valtra)

Runs on Red Diesel

Has only one Engine

Four tyres instead of the Eight on a Chipper and Tranny

Eats big bits so the saws run less

Has a higher value when traded in

Do you do Tree work Vespasian?I am curious as from memory you are yet to post a single picture of your set up.

Until Tom gets pulled by vosa on his way back from a domestic job has his tank dipped, gets his tractor impounded and then gets screwed by HMRC for back tax on the red diesel they decide he's used over the years as he was doing non agricultural work and should have been on white.

As a grass cutter I only thought you need a lawnmower for your setup.

Very funny, I also do some tree jobs as when the mood suits..

I'm working on the right trailer to go with my TP100 woodchipper, though I can switch up to my Eliet pro if I've a mind too..

The right trailer seems to be as elusive as the right chipper truck combination though.. :thumbdown:

Until Tom gets pulled by vosa on his way back from a domestic job has his tank dipped, gets his tractor impounded and then gets screwed by HMRC for back tax on the red diesel they decide he's used over the years as he was doing non agricultural work and should have been on white.

Domestic jobs are one that exise do allow in their memorandum for rebated fuel. The problem ones are commercial sites.

Carrying arisings could be an issue over 25 miles but that's a different set of regulations.

IMO this whole business of rebated fuel is weird, as the road fuel duty is not used for roads there's really no reason not to tax all hydrocarbon fuels the same except it would cause a problem for heating fuels.