Best legal vehicle combination

Twigz

I'm working on my set up as we speak.. been working on it for a year or two now..

when I'm happy with my set up I'll post a pick or two.. its a one man band, an I'll be keeping it compact...

As a grass cutter I only thought you need a lawnmower for your setup.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that put the cat amongst the pigeons!

The picture that started this big v small debate was intended simply as an example of the potential benefit of breaking from the apparent forged mindset of "truck & chipper" which seems to prevail.

The illustration was simply offered as a consideration for the OP since there isn't really any inspirational alternative being presented, other than going big. And there appears to be an aversion to going small for anything other than Mrs Miggins' small Apple tree.

Thanks for all the insightful comments on the job in the picture, I'm guessing some of you must have visited the site to be so well informed? You'd remember the walled garden to the rear with a narrow entrance? You'd remember that approx 1/2 the chip (the stuff off the other side of the crown) was being retained in the garden and that, short of craning it in, you wouldn't get a towed chipper in there? You'd realise also that dragging all the brash out to roadside to achieve the efficiency of a big chipper would be negated by every barrow load you had to heave back in?

Tom & Dick can please themselves, Kev's happy to put the right tool to the right job and match the man / machine combo to suit the prevailing circumstances 😁

Don't be a Dick, be like Kev 😂

:lol:

Looks to me like a quick "cut and chuck" into the area where for some reason a guy is stood playing with a rope. Then chuck it over the fence and through a decent sized chipper.

Or just crane it out with the palfinger.

:lol:

Looks to me like a quick "cut and chuck" into the area where for some reason a guy is stood playing with a rope. Then chuck it over the fence and through a decent sized chipper.

Or just crane it out with the palfinger.

Many ways to skin each cat Dave!

That grass strip was approx 2.5m wide and at about 30 degrees. Anything dropped there would likely have bounced into the fence or over it into the road.

So, if I'm keeping tally accurately, we're now up to another 2 guys catching wild lumps from the road, a Section 50 app, TM, a crane, an extra vehicle to tow a chipper, a quote from the fabricator for new fence sections... what's the price tag on that?

Did I miss anything? Apart from the potential to rush everything in the desperate aspiration to try and cram 1/2 a hedge job in on the way home?

Genuinely, and obviously mindful that (domestic) customers can be a funny bunch, there can also be an element of needing to reassure the uninitiated that they are receiving VfM. If they're spending good money, seeing a team trundle away with big kit after 1/2 a day with a fat cheque it can be unsettling. (Not all customers but some)

I would stress, as I think I did previously, it only worked in that instance because it was Euc. Wouldn't have dreamt of using a small chipper on something less accommodating.

OP was looking for ideas that's all....

Small chipper, sharp blades, right tree, restricted access - can be an option but has notable limitations.

We did a job with a flatbed transit (borrowed from our landscaping crew) as our chipper and truck went down at the same time.

We went and did a couple of small jobs with it, medium conifer removals and some ash reductions.

Left all the cuts quite big and tied everything on.

Was a lot easier and quicker than I thought it was going to be. Wouldn't like to work like that every day but realised that it's easy to complicate jobs and business.

Timon.

Being picky Kev, why doesn't your setup in the picture need a Section 50?

To the OP, I'm guessing you've only a B license, so you'd be looking at a 3,5t vehicle towing a 750kg chipper. Nissan cabster and TW 230 would be my choice. but fill it with chip to the original sides, and you'll be on the weight limit, with greedy boards you'll be way over.

Ive BE + C, and trying to stay legal is still a pain

Thanks Josh. It's all a bit confusing as being new to the industry. I've got a LDV crewcab tipper and just realising it doesn't leave me with much loading capacity.

I had a crewcab LDV about 20 years ago, I dread to think how overloaded it was most of the time:blushing: I recall the tow bar used to hit the ground a lot.

Edited by skyhuck

Being picky Kev, why doesn't your setup in the picture need a Section 50?

To the OP, I'm guessing you've only a B license, so you'd be looking at a 3,5t vehicle towing a 750kg chipper. Nissan cabster and TW 230 would be my choice. but fill it with chip to the original sides, and you'll be on the weight limit, with greedy boards you'll be way over.

Ive BE + C, and trying to stay legal is still a pain

Not picky at all Josh, spot on really.

Absolutely, technically, it probably DID, but I called it on the balance of probability.

If there had been SLG, chipper and operators set up in the road it would have been impossible to argue that it didn't need all the bells and whistles. Also, it's a fairly busy residential road so heavily parked prior to rush hour then used as daytime parking for workers and visitors to the Vets practice around the corner. Would have been near on impossible to get gear close enough to be useful without a visit the night before to cone it off. The trailer was on double yellows.

As it was, manageable piles of brash were built inside the fence, once big enough it was possible to pass by hand to the guy standing in the trailer to chip. If LA parking / street works nazis arrived, just move the trailer, it was still hitched.

In hindsight, probably not the best example to throw into the debate in this thread since it was a fairly unique set of circumstances that coincided to make that choice of set up the favoured option.

Ever get that feeling where you wished you hadn't bothered... 🤔