Best legal vehicle combination

Twigz

This Euc was chipped into dumpies in the trailer and all gone in one trip.

For the right tree, small can be good too. [ATTACH]222630[/ATTACH]

That job may have been completed in one trip, it still would have been quicker with a towable chipper and tipper.. The micro chipper has a place but not when you can get decent chipper to it..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That job may have been completed in one trip, it still would have been quicker with a towable chipper and tipper.. The micro chipper has a place but not when you can get decent chipper to it..

If groundy kept up with clearing brash how would a bigger chipper been better.

its only worth having a big chipper if you have the right jobs for it. In the example that Kevin posted, yes a bigger chipper may have meant an earlier finish but if you only have that job booked for the day and you are still earning the money the benefit of the larger chipper is lost. It's not always easy to fit another job in at 3pm.

What I'm saying is what is the best combination for one business maybe completely inappropriate for another. A 7.5lorry or tow behind chipper would not be my personal choice id sooner a go anywhere outfit and get jobs to suit.

We use two iveco dailys with 1-1.2t payload, a hilux with 1t payload and trailer with 2t payload. Generally find 5t legal payload covers 90% of a days work.

The perfect one truck and one trailer set up is the 7.2t daily with a 3.5t trailer Imo.

Tho that require HGV and trailer test.

By the way post 97 drivers have a GTW of 4.25t, Post 13 drivers have a GTW of 3.5t.

Any post 13 driver with 3500 transit and a 750kg chipper is more than likely operating illegally 90% of the time with out BE. You may have 250-500kg of capacity, legally speaking.

What I'm saying is what is the best combination for one business maybe completely inappropriate for another. A 7.5lorry or tow behind chipper would not be my personal choice id sooner a go anywhere outfit and get jobs to suit.

Our Iveco 7t is only 20cm larger than our 3.5t but carries 3.6t after kit and 3 guys. It's pretty nimble too and with difflock is less of a liability 'hors piste' as they say here.

Ty

its only worth having a big chipper if you have the right jobs for it. In the example that Kevin posted, yes a bigger chipper may have meant an earlier finish but if you only have that job booked for the day and you are still earning the money the benefit of the larger chipper is lost. It's not always easy to fit another job in at 3pm.

I think you are missing the benefit of efficiency.

Big gear does jobs really fast,fast means more done in a day and more money made.

Lets say your day rate is £600,you look at a three day job for £1800. Tom comes along in his Valtra and does it in a day for £1000.The client is chuffed,so is Tom and the client goes around telling all and sundry how great Tom is at 1/3 your price.

Tom gets more jobs,be like Tom.

Also big gear breaks less easily than little stuff,the repair costs are higher but so is the output.

Big gear does jobs really fast,fast means more done in a day and more money made.

Lets say your day rate is £600,you look at a three day job for £1800. Tom comes along in his Valtra and does it in a day for £1000.The client is chuffed,so is Tom and the client goes around telling all and sundry how great Tom is at 1/3 your price.

Also big gear breaks less easily than little stuff,the repair costs are higher but so is the output.

Your preaching to the choir mate:001_smile: I probably have invested about £100k worth of kit, some jobs I can beast others I can't, I have equipped myself according to my workload

I'm a big believer in having the right gear for the job- no point struggling with inferior equipment, but I also believe that every setup has its place.

My point though was that not everyone's aspirations are the same. Some are happy pottering around with a fairly modest setup with modest jobs lots of tea breaks and early finishes.

On the other hand you can have the mega bucks kit, but if you don't have the right kind of jobs it's not going to pay for itself let alone turn a decent profit.

I bet there's blokes out there who are making more profit with truck and cs100 per outlay than the big tree eating machines.

Lets look at the maths here?..

Tom, if he's any good would price the job much the same as anyone else, a fifty foot conifer is still a fifty foot conifer no matter who looks at it.. it aught be priced much the same by Tom as anyone else..

The advantage Tom has is speed.. he can get the job done quicker..

But, what advantage does Tom have if speed isn't an issue?..

If Toms spends thousands on gear then Tom needs to get a rush on, he's under pressure to complete more jobs..

Now Pete, he's spent a few grand but not half as much as Tom, he can afford to take a more relaxed attitude to his days work.. no rush to crack on and get to the next job..

You seem to only get the "right jobs" when you make the jump to big kit though.

I understand your point with personal aspirations though,however it is cringe worthy when you see a two man gang flogging their TW for a week on a takedown that would be done by 2 pm with the right kit.

Those guys are never going to learn or make enough to justify higher production equipment.