Best legal vehicle combination

Twigz

It always makes me smile when this comes up, you go out of your way to get a sub 750kg chipper so that you can stay 'legal' and then tow it with a van with a 5-7 cube chip capacity so your illegal as soon as you quarter fill it! Any 3.5 tonner with more than 2.5 cube chip capacity will be illegal when loaded. And 2.5 cube is not a lot of chip.

What I meant with the mog thing was there is no need to worry about the 3.5 ton limit as it's a tractor and anyone can drive it however heavy it it. And as for reliability, so far ours has been way more reliable than our transit was. There's nothing to be scared of with a mog, it's just bigger (and better)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mog still has a gross weight just like any tractor. And if yours is taxed agri it should not carry a load on the road unless the law has changed.

Mogs for forestry/AG work are ok but not domestic tree work unless running HGV compliant .This article which centres around haulage has a few pointers about ag vehicles used for commercial gain.

Wise up before using a tractor for road haulage haulage - Farmers Weekly

Bob

Having a 7.5t and now a mog I have to agree with Tom D that the mog is he way forward. Yes, mines had a few issues but all be sorted relatively easily. Payload is good, off road ability, chipper plus trailer if need be and it's basically cool as f*ck!

It's also a great advertising tool as not many round these parts have one!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

our mog has a tacho. but thats not really the point.

To let lou know where i am on this issue i'll tell you how I got here.

When I started out 16 Years ago I had a business partner, we each had a 4x4, one of us towed a chipper and the other towed a tipping chip bin trailer, it was a pain in the arse setup but it was legal. After a few years he left and I bought a 3.5 tonner to tow the chipper. Like every other 3.5 tonner out there I was probably running about overloaded some of the time. I ran 3.5 tonners for the last 13 years until recently when we took out 6 cube capacity transit on a weigh bridge, it weighed 5.6 tons. I decided that this was dangerous and the fact that it had cost a fortune in repairs lately convinced me to buy a mog.

So I know where you transit guys are coming from. It boils down to this:

A tiny percentage of tree surgeons are running legally all the time, staying within their weight limits.

A few more are Mog owners and are potentially committing tax fraud by running on red... but they aren't endangering other road users.

The majority run 3.5 tonners and are illegally overloaded much of the time, but they aren't committing tax fraud.

So which do you want to be? staying perfectly legal can be difficult: put up with a tiny payload, or get additional driver training O licence etc, only to have the driver leave and have to do it all again.

If you are caught running on red you may be fined, if you are caught overloaded you may be fined too. But, if you have an accident while overloaded you could loose everything, licence, your insurance will refuse to pay out, and if you kill or injure someone you will likely go to jail.

Pick your poison...........

What I meant with the mog thing was there is no need to worry about the 3.5 ton limit as it's a tractor and anyone can drive it however heavy it it.

Not true.

Everyone has a cat F tractor licence.

However that is limited in scope.

If the use of the tractor is not agri or forestry then you need a C1 or C / C1E CE to drive it.

Not true.

Everyone has a cat F tractor licence.

However that is limited in scope.

If the use of the tractor is not agri or forestry then you need a C1 or C / C1E CE to drive it.

Is that only if hauling goods?

So what does a crane driver need?

The question is self defeating there is no good legal set up involving a single 3.5t vehicle and chipper unless you want to tip after cutting down a small apple tree. A chipper and another vehicle with 3.5t trailer is better and legs but a pain the only way is something on an o license be it a lorry or mog.

The question is self defeating there is no good legal set up involving a single 3.5t vehicle and chipper unless you want to tip after cutting down a small apple tree. A chipper and another vehicle with 3.5t trailer is better and legs but a pain the only way is something on an o license be it a lorry or mog.

Is the "problem" the apparent default assumption of need for a towed chipper? Obviously, it very much depends upon the tree species, but it is possible, even considerably easier in certain circumstances, to go small and get the job done.

This Euc was chipped into dumpies in the trailer and all gone in one trip.

For the right tree, small can be good too. [ATTACH]222630[/ATTACH]