Quick ident?

Bump.

Was this at a regular customer or on a one off visit?

And could you get another look?

I thought it looked familiar so went and had a look in a bit of hedgerow where I thought I had seen it growing myself and wondered what it was and found two saplings there with the same opposite, deeply veined, well spaced, leaves but not growing as a multi stemmed shrub like you might expect a cornus to and whereas the usual cornus have quite distinctive berries and the kousa and suchlike have larger hanging strawberry/arbutus like fruits, the one I looked at has just a small cluster of very small berries smaller even than those small metallic purple berries on the viburnum tinus.

I wondered if yours has the same, then this might narrow it down a bit.

I still don't know what it is mind, but I know someone who might and will be meeting them soon.

Why would this not be a common Dogwood - C.alba is it or sanguinea?

This is outside the back door here.

My mental image of large Philadelphus has it with flaky light coloured bark.

Edited by nepia

Why would this not be a common Dogwood - [pics]?

This is outside the back door here.

I'm beginning to wonder :001_smile:

I'm thinking C. alba and the like are shrubby. multistemmed, circa 3metre max rather than single stem tree like ?5meter plus.

Scotspine, I've just noticed your later comment re insignificant flowers - which in turn, would suggest v.small clusters of berries.

Again I'm thinking C. alba and the like are larger berries than the ones I saw.

But like I say; I'm beginning to wonder: the force is strong... must...resist...

The multistemmed growth habit I think is just the result of hard pruning to maximise the bred stem colour; leave them alone and they'll grow in usual form.

'Insignificant flowers' though... I'm quite proud of mine so perhaps not the same as the OP's but it was agreed to be C.alba at the time of posting. I still agree!

• Like 1