Do I become more employable by having my own climbing gear?

Kyle_haynes

Get a job, work harder compared to anyone, get recognition, I don't think your own climbing gear will make you more employable unless it's for a short employment. If one is good The employers will invest if trust is there. I have tried to employ folks but get put off with all the demands. Folks want this and isn't available when needed.

Good luck in your search

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my qualifications in climbing and aerial use of chainsaws and I was wondering whether having my own gear is better for me to gain employment quickly.

You're more likely to be given a chance imo, whether its a trial day, or job on the ground, taking your gear with you to every job incase theres time for you to have a go.

I very much doubt a company will employ you as a climber, spend £££ on kit etc without seeing if you have any ability

By "Us" is it the company you own or do you work for a Company?

Is it a policy you have decided or one that your Boss as implemented?

It might be the way English people construct sentences,I find it hard to know.

I work for a company Mike, but it's not your usual set-up, also I often type on my mobile and never proof read what I said, when I re-read what I have wrote even I am confused.

Every company is unique in the way it operates, I am left to my devices to operate how I see fit in all aspects from tendering for contracts, tree condition surveys, compliance, buying kit, maintaining kit, employment and logistics. Leaving the MD who has operated the company for 35 years to do what he wants.

The policy is trust, simple as that.

I never groudied, straight in as climber, I'd been playing in trees since a kid so adding a rope and harness made it easier going down but slowed me down going up so I usually just free climbed to the anchor point and a chainsaw instead of a bow saw was a dream!

I'd bought a harness and spikes and just climbed everything , never had a rope. Just unclipped at limbs and monkeyd around.

The worst climber in the world can be a very good groundie the 2 roles are not linked unless you want to be a drone employee.

Not everyone needs hardship and punishment to succeed!

When I was a labourer I had my own fabricated spade! I kept breaking the bought ones. I was rarely liked by my colleagues also, never cared about that I always knew what I wanted.

If you want to be a climber, own your own kit for practising in, if you get a job they should supply it and you can choose what you want to wear.

Personally if you have just done tickets with no experience I'd just tell you to climb up a tree and cut something off and offer you what you were worth and up your pay as you improved. I wouldn't be leaving you to lift 10 ton of rings out a garden to put hairs on your chest, I'd rather you kept your back good and take you round the next jobs for a heads up leave the donkey work to the donkeys.

This job isn't as technical and wow as a lot make it out to be.

Cut a tree down, carry it out and process then onto the next.

I would say yes for a couple of reasons.

1 .It shows you have an interest in the job rather than just looking for a job

2. It allows you to reccy climb and improve your skills.

If you want to be a good climber than you have to climb,a lot, not dick about digging holes for a laugh.

I never groudied, straight in as climber, I'd been playing in trees since a kid so adding a rope and harness made it easier going down but slowed me down going up so I usually just free climbed to the anchor point and a chainsaw instead of a bow saw was a dream!

I'd bought a harness and spikes and just climbed everything , never had a rope. Just unclipped at limbs and monkeyd around.

The worst climber in the world can be a very good groundie the 2 roles are not linked unless you want to be a drone employee.

Not everyone needs hardship and punishment to succeed!

When I was a labourer I had my own fabricated spade! I kept breaking the bought ones. I was rarely liked by my colleagues also, never cared about that I always knew what I wanted.

If you want to be a climber, own your own kit for practising in, if you get a job they should supply it and you can choose what you want to wear.

Personally if you have just done tickets with no experience I'd just tell you to climb up a tree and cut something off and offer you what you were worth and up your pay as you improved. I wouldn't be leaving you to lift 10 ton of rings out a garden to put hairs on your chest, I'd rather you kept your back good and take you round the next jobs for a heads up leave the donkey work to the donkeys.

This job isn't as technical and wow as a lot make it out to be.

Cut a tree down, carry it out and process then onto the next.

Stevie when it comes to you we can throw out the rule book as your quite an exceptional character mate.. but I do disagree with most of that.

These young boys need beasting and moulding in to tree killing machines not been told they can go to there safe place and do what ever they want when it gets tough.

Having your own climbing kit if you can afford it won't hurt which ever employment route you go. Just keep it in good order and loler checked.

I work with subbies and regularly get people new to the industry looking for a start with climbing tickets. I tell them they will climb every time the job can afford it even of that's just to top anchor via a route I have dictated and coming down slowly as I explain the plan before taking over. From that point they slowly get given more and more of the climbing as their ability or desire dictate.

Whatever happens make sure they let you climb or the money spent on a ticket will be waisted as you will forget the skills even if you spend all day watching the climber.

Stevie when it comes to you we can throw out the rule book as your quite an exceptional character mate.. but I do disagree with most of that.

These young boys need beasting and moulding in to tree killing machines not been told they can go to there safe place and do what ever they want when it gets tough.

He's bang on!

We are tree gangs not an army!!

Beasting! Get over yourself!

He's bang on!

We are tree gangs not an army!!

Beasting! Get over yourself!

Ha ha really, the army is a piece of piss in comparison, In the post Stevie says he spent a good few years digging holes before hand so already had built up the upper body strength needed to make a good climber.

Course it is!

The best conditioning for climbing is ......... wait for it ......... climbing.

Beasting lads as you put it is pointless and yesteryear, do you think they want to learn and have a chat after a beasting or go home thinking your a d!ck?

If you have to beast everybody, rush around and work like he-man to get the job done your probably underpricing it, not giving it enough time or both.

Anybody can be a busy idiot, it takes a smart operator to work efficiently with some smarts to get the job done safely, on time with a happy set of lads.