A few questions about logs!

Stumpy Grinder

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree wood in a sunny and airy spot dries loads in the late May to Early September period, I find myself raising an eye brow at sub 20%, especially hard for Oak. The OP will need to learn what woods work best for him, a combination of what you can get, what burns well in your stove, what dries well in your spot and what splits easily.

Hello all

I'm currently reading "Norwegian Wood" by Lars Mytting. It's a great book, really enjoying it. A lot of it is probably common sense to us woody types, but there's also a lot of stuff that I'm learning. It's a wealth of knowledge on everything to do with cutting/splitting/drying/burning wood as a heating fuel. And very readable too. I'd highly recommended this book to everyone.

Simon

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hello all

I'm currently reading "Norwegian Wood" by Lars Mytting. It's a great book, really enjoying it. A lot of it is probably common sense to us woody types, but there's also a lot of stuff that I'm learning. It's a wealth of knowledge on everything to do with cutting/splitting/drying/burning wood as a heating fuel. And very readable too. I'd highly recommended this book to everyone.

Simon

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Arbtalk mobile app

An excellent book well worth the money and even my other half read it and enjoyed it!

I use a old cheap maul from b n q, but I've used a fiskas ( the longest handled one ) and they are light and good

My mate brought his sthil mail round the other day and that was weighty but nice to use

As for a bench I use pallets and have put huge pieces in there as well as loads of little bits and cut through the lots easy

As for kindling I use a hatchet rammed in a log then use a club hammer to bang the logs onto the hatchet

I usually split logs by putting them in a tyre as it's quicker than keep picking them up, or I have my lad keep standing the logs up so I just go round splitting them

At the moment I just split a few everytime I walk past them

My main aim is to not spend money to Fuel the burner so hence the making of the work horse

lol[ATTACH]222623[/ATTACH][ATTACH]222624[/ATTACH][ATTACH]222625[/ATTACH][ATTACH]222626[/ATTACH][ATTACH]222627[/ATTACH][ATTACH]222628[/ATTACH][ATTACH]222629[/ATTACH]

I tend to just leave piles of logs about until i put them in the log stores

Only from my personal experience.

For awooden block I tenf to go a bit lower than the other answers here - so that the top of the log I am spliyying is jnee height - but moslty this is because that is the size of logs with a decent diameter that I can get. Wood - at the moment I think it is willow, but again depends what I can pick up. Willow os quite good since it worn't split easily and quite light to move about

Axes... the free big axe we rescued after a burglary, no idea of brand though, I didn't get on with the maul. Since it is a splitting axer and not used for felling it doesn't need to be mega sharp (you will soon find out where to hit the wood to make it split the best)

Hand aze, just a cheap one from b&Q, wooden handle, again since it is for splitting it doesn't need to be fantastic. Once day I am going to upgrade them both.

Saw horse.. Pallets and an old fence. Pick up pallets fom many places for free (just ask them).. Wooden pallets will just get chopped up if you go to far with a saw and it won't get blunt.

You don't need much for the basic kit