Sewn eye or Double figure 8?

Morning all

I do some tree climbing to prune etc, recreational only, not for work (And hand saw only!) I have been using a static abseil rope but want to upgrade to a arborist rope.

My research shows that buying rope by the meter is a lot cheaper than buying fixed length ropes with a sewn/spliced eye. The question is, how important is an eye? My background is rock climbing so I'm used to tying in with a double figure 8 knot and paying an extra 40% for an eye seems steep if it is just for convenience?

I appreciate that you guys need to maximise efficiency and convenience when you are climbing commercially but is there any point in me spending the extra money? Or is there more to the eye? Safety?

Thanks

Toby

A sewn/spliced eye is not 40% of the cost, I prefer a spliced eye myself due to its lack of bulk and ease of use.

We climb on static rope to EN1891 (semi-static) standard so imagine the rope your using could be fit for purpose. Arb ropes are generally designed to be thicker in diameter harder wearing more supple and offer better knotabilty.

I accidentally damaged the spliced eye end of my long rope last year, and had to remove it. Since then I have been using it with a double figure of 8. If anything it is better as it works as a bit of weight for throwing over forks. The downside is I can't use my cambium saver, and it can get stuck in tight forks when retrieving it and if there is any dangerr of that I pull it through from the other end. I don't know how it would stand up to a LOLER inspection though, but that shouldn't bother you.

The outer sheath of a rope used for tree climbing should be made out of polyester and be Certified to CE EN 1891 like stated above.

When it comes to knots, you can use a double figure 8, double fishermans knot or the anchor knot.

@daltontrees , when using a rope without a spliced eye, then you can still use a cambium saver as long it is a sleeve style.

I accidentally damaged the spliced eye end of my long rope last year, and had to remove it. Since then I have been using it with a double figure of 8. If anything it is better as it works as a bit of weight for throwing over forks. The downside is I can't use my cambium saver, and it can get stuck in tight forks when retrieving it and if there is any dangerr of that I pull it through from the other end. I don't know how it would stand up to a LOLER inspection though, but that shouldn't bother you.

Why not use a bowline or some other easy to untie knot? You can still use your cambium saver then.

As long as the knot doesn't interfere with whatever hitch system you are using then there is no problem whatsoever.

Why not use a bowline or some other easy to untie knot? You can still use your cambium saver then.

As long as the knot doesn't interfere with whatever hitch system you are using then there is no problem whatsoever.

I prefer a knot that's almost impossible to untie (accidentally).