Tree surgeon falls 30ft

Steve Bullman

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the unreported. Stupidity.....get out of the way...let's get this winch cable up.....rush, rush.

One lucky escape as branches kept slowing me down but a broken vertebrae and knocked about.

April 1987 and then the Ministry stopped by for a diesel check!

A few years back a well known company director round here took saw into his own hands and killed himself on a job. Never surfaced at all in the news. I saw some of the work done previously by this outfit. It was shocking.

Yet it still is an operational firm today!

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Its interesting what does and doesn't make the news. I know of 3 people falling from trees within the last 3 months, all survived but fairly buggered one can work but no longer climb, the rest are cabbages. As a climber myself and personally knowing the injured people its a stomach churning thought that its happened but it makes me wonder how many serious accidents happen and go unreported.

Im sure there are lots. My serious work related accident went unreported.....not that I wanted it reported I might add. Once all the investigations and insurance claims are completed I may well write about it for the trade journals however.

Its interesting what does and doesn't make the news. I know of 3 people falling from trees within the last 3 months, all survived but fairly buggered one can work but no longer climb, the rest are cabbages. As a climber myself and personally knowing the injured people its a stomach churning thought that its happened but it makes me wonder how many serious accidents happen and go unreported.

I think that's why I will never be a good climber. I fixate on the risks too much that it slows me down in comparison to others. In an often productivity fueled world best practises are not encouraged or adopted.

As has been mentioned human error is often the issue. They happen to the best of us though - tired, rushing to get something finished, momentarily distracted. I read somewhere most accidents happen in the last half hour of the working day.

I think that's why I will never be a good climber. I fixate on the risks too much that it slows me down in comparison to others. In an often productivity fueled world best practises are not encouraged or adopted.

As has been mentioned human error is often the issue. They happen to the best of us though - tired, rushing to get something finished, momentarily distracted. I read somewhere most accidents happen in the last half hour of the working day.

I would argue your fixation on risks makes you a good climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk