Travelling to New Zealand

Conorjm10

Planning ahead a little i know but... I'm heading to New Zealand in the New year and just starting to piece things together, decided i want to base around in or Queenstown as i'm well into my mountain biking and the riding scene there is huge. Has anybody who has made the trip in the past have any advice for me? Also what is demand like over there for our industry? I have 4 years climbing experience for my dads business and helped him manage it also, (pricing, dealing with customers, maintaining equipment,etc,etc). Decided if i don't do it now why i've no commitments then i'll only regret in the future.

Cheers!

Ive done pretty much all of nz. Id say away from auckland, queenstown and christchurch. There is so many opportune places that will offer just as much and you can visit the above locations. The popular places are expensive for thr basics and can be poor of stsndard due to high demand.

You need to be cracking on with visa. It can be a right hassle. If you search new zealand in the search facility on the forum you will find just about everything you need to know and helpful contacts that have done it.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I've just moved here only been here about three weeks. Visa your need to sort but you may need a job offer first depending which one you go for. There is so much demand for arborist it crazy but like any thing some part of the country there is more. But get on trade me web site for jobs or just look at the area you want to live/stay and maybe contact some of the company's in that area directly.

I arrived here in NZ early this year on a 1 year working holiday visa and thinking about extending it another year next january. I am currently living and working in Auckland and there are heeps of work in this area with loads of tree companys so you won't find any problmem finiding work if you come here. I have worked for 2 companys so far. DS Trees & Auckland tree works who i will be working with till the end of september then i'm stopping work to go travelling for the remainder of my visa. I am hoping when i get my working holiday extension to head down to the south-island preferably queens town to live and work , i have looked up tree company's down there and they have 3- RoyalTreeCare Ltd , New Zealand Tree Care LTD and Asplundh who ive been told are the biggest tree company in the world! , they are an American Comapny but big in NZ and Australia too. if i have no luck finding workj down in queenstown next year then i will try somewhere else in the south - island Christchurch maybe . in terms of getting a visa he working holiday visa is the most simple visa to get (thats if you're between 18-30) , I applied for mine in November last year and got it approved within 5 days! and as i mentioned hoping to get it extended and do another year here. Let us know how you get on!

http://Www.trademe.co.nz look under jobs/arborist. You can check out accommodation in the area you want to live on the same site.

Both Treescape and Asplundh are approved with NZ immigration I believe and can shortcut the visa process. There may be a couple of other companies that can too.

I've worked for Asplundh in the U.K., Oz and NZ and they are the biggest tree company in the world but matched by Treescape in Australasia.

Personally, I'd work for a smaller outfit and, as Goaty says, steer clear of Auckland and Queenstown. Both are seriously expensive to live and there are plenty of towns and locations where you can walk, ride etc. Taupo, Hawkes Bay (Napier) New Plymouth, Nelson for a start. I'd stay clear of Hamilton but Wellington can be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 1 year later...