Inconsiderate rail workers/idiotic schedule of work?

Big J

As I'm sure that some of you work with on the rail network, I was wondering if much consideration is given to people living close to railway lines?

I was out on the banks of a local lake fishing at 0400 this morning and there is a mainline running along one bank. There are three houses about 40 yards behind the line.

There was a squad of perhaps 8-10 guys with three MEWPs working on one of the pylons for the overhead wires from when I arrived to around 0630. They couldn't have made more noise if they'd set off fireworks. Constantly whacking the metal with hammers, various angle grinders/Stihl saws, noisy MEWP engines, banter and shouting. 40 yards from someones front door at 4 am on Sunday (and I don't know what time they started work).

Come 0630 they headed off up the line (out of my earshot) but presumably continued work as the first train did not pass until 0905.

These are the only three houses directly on the line for a couple of miles in either direction? Surely that one pylon could have been started after 0600 to minimise disruption to residents? The workers seemed quite unaware of how little sleep the people in the houses must be getting. I feel like popping over to one of the houses and offering my statement should they wish to complain. :001_huh:

Some construction work is noisy and there's not really a lot you can do about it. Tbh, If you move next to a railway I don't really think you can complain too much about occasional maintenance work at night....

The construction workers have to finish work at about 6am because if they work after that time it will cause chaos to the travelling public. If construction work overruns they are likely to pay a 6 figure fine....

Anyway, I bet the occupants of the houses were in a hotel last night....

Some people are incredibly inconsiderate and actually get off on having the power to disrupt the lives of others, they clearly have very sad lives and this is the only way they can feel important.

We had northwest power putting in a service to some newly built houses just down the lane from us, they thought it was perfectly acceptable to close the road for 5 days, with no notice and expect us to take a 30mile diversion and expected emergency vehicles to do the same. Some of the lads doing the work were really loving messing up peoples live.

Good grief! That's a bit vacuous, even for you. Where did you find air thin enough to pluck that out of? Mercury?

It happens quite often when overnight construction work is happening next to a house. The contractor pays for a night in a hotel for the householders.

Certainly where I'm working just now the contractor has put people up in hotels.

We have a single track branch line at the end of our garden, occasionally there are night works, very rarely, but it still happens, yes it's a pain but we put-up, and shut-up.

The reason I first moved here was because the company I worked for had a road job through a Des-Res village, the job was 6 weeks 24/7, on the second day there were so many complaints about the nights before's noise that the job was put on days only....... The job took 16 weeks to complete, how much that cost the tax payer doesn't bare thinking about.

As I'm sure that some of you work with on the rail network, I was wondering if much consideration is given to people living close to railway lines?

They do the work on nights because it often requires closing the line and if they do that during the day it inconveniences countless numbers.

It is a transient inconvenience for those individuals living track side.

Many, many years ago when fountain forestry first got some rail work they tried using hand saws for night work.

Dropping 18" diameter sycamores with a bow saw was not much fun and not in the least productive.

I did not enjoy that night shift. It was made even worse when I returned to the carpark to find my pick had been nicked :thumbdown:

I have the only in/out of Eastbourne 100ft from the back of my house, also a twitten (path) next to it leading to a gate in the fence. We get all sorts of work on the line, pleased to say. We usually get a letter warning of overnight work but never disturbed us so far in 3yrs. If I am up at 3am on way back from loo can look out and see 5 transits parked on the twitten and all orange suits up and down. Having said all the end of July there changing rails so that should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app