Trees In My Neighbours garden

David Read

Dear Members,

I have been in touch with a tree surgeon and he has suggested that I contact you with problem that I have in my back garden.

The problem is that at about six o'clock in the evening the sun is virtually totally blocked out because of conifers in my back neighbours garden.

There are three trees, two that are touching one another an one that is a single tree. All three are as tall as a house.

I have read that two or more trees constitute a hedge an if this is the case can I get my neighbour to trim them?

Is this the case?

I have attached a photo of the situation at six pm.

Thanks for you help

David

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What mark said! ^^

To enable the local authority to use the Asbo act and specifically the high hedges section, you have to use all available avenues with the neighbour first.

Then the council get involved but can charge extortionate fees.

There is no right to light when it comes to trees unfortunately. It looks like the trees/ hedges could have been maintained in the past, or are in a long cycle so they gain a fair amount of height in between cuttings.

Speak to them first.

Have you talked to your neighbour about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yep, definitely the first port of call.

Followed by months of arguing, solicitors letters, fisticuffs and a hand drill with glyphosate at midnight!

Or sensible discussion between adults, which is preferable of course...

I have talked to my neighbour and have also sent him a letter in which I offered to pay for the the trees to be trimmed but he has not replied.

I have also been in touch with the council who want £500 up front before they will come and look at the problem.

I am considering paying the £500 but will I be wasting my money.

David

If they're not responding to your letter, or your verbal communication, I'd personally try the gently gently approach a few more times. Then include involving the council that may result in them having to cover costs.

Usually the prospect of losing money gets people moving.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Arbtalk mobile app

Edited by diervek