Battery landscaping tools

StuartM

I was looking at getting a new decent quality petrol multitool but out of curiosity I started adding up cost of going down the battery route.

Has anyone converted over yet and if so did you go Stihl or Husky?

I'd be looking at a hedge cutter, long reach cutter and brush cutter to start with. The usage is split about 50/50 between domestic and pony paddocks so the lower noise would be good.

Both manufactures cost in about the same and are available from my preferred suppliers but most people seem to have gone for the Stihl kit looking at the posts on here.

The run time looks like a drawback on paper but is it actually one in practice? It looks like 2 of the 5Ah should keep up with everything but the brushcutter as recharging on site isn't an issue.

I'm not dead set either way so some guidance from people that have used the kit would be great even if the consensus is to buy petrol kit for now.

Stuart

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What size stuff are you planning to cut? I would t really want to use the battery hedge cutters on much more than clippings really, unlike my robin which i regularly use to cut through inch thick stuff.

Likewise with the brush cutter, although I haven't used one I would t imagine they would be great for brambles etc

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Steve,

Thinking about the 2 I've got to cut next they are a standard farm rough collection of thorn, brambles and a bit of rose 130m long and the second one is a 30m hawthorn hedge about a metre high on the garden side.

I'd expect the garden one to be ok but the field one might need something heavier duty?

I've got some of the Husky LI range and love them. Two chainsaws one strimmer and just got the new longreach hedge trimmer. Run two 150 and a 200 battery that seems to get me through my jobs. Also got the 12v car charger but can always get power from one of my customers if needed.

Interesting to hear from someone with the Husky range as most seem to go for Stihl. The Stihl v Husky argument has been well covered on the chainsaw forum with winners and losers in both ranges but with the cordless kit you have to pick one manufacturer from the start rather than being able to pick the best tool. To be fair I guess the same with the petrol multitools.

I think I'll have a trip out to see both ranges and decide it if I want to give them a go or take the tried and tested safe option while I wait for the technology to mature.

What size stuff are you planning to cut? I would t really want to use the battery hedge cutters on much more than clippings really, unlike my robin which i regularly use to cut through inch thick stuff.

Likewise with the brush cutter, although I haven't used one I would t imagine they would be great for brambles etc

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I've been using one of the Stihl strimmers on my holiday job :biggrin: and, while the battery lasts reasonably on grass, when you turn the power up for thicker weeds the battery soon drains.

dont see the point myself seems to be going a step back words in hedge cutter and strimmer in battery be much cheaper to buy electric equivalent and a decent silent generator. as the genny that will give you power for anything electrically and power where ever you need it