Employment or Subcontracting?

Nathanzac

So, I start my transition to a career in Tree surgery on Monday as I'm starting my NPTC course. By the 4th of September I will have, amongst others, Tree felling & Cross cutting, Chipper, Climbing, Aerial Cutting & Rescue.

Now the question I have is, would it be better for me to start off in full time employment with a company or subcontract?

So, I start my transition to a career in Tree surgery on Monday as I'm starting my NPTC course. By the 4th of September I will have, amongst others, Tree felling & Cross cutting, Chipper, Climbing, Aerial Cutting & Rescue.

Now the question I have is, would it be better for me to start off in full time employment with a company or subcontract?

I'd say employment so the boss can pay for your mistakes.

I had no option as I was unemployable so it was an expensive learning curve.

Also most people know from an early age if they can make money and it's them that should run their own businesses.

I was ok as my own boss but too soft with dealing. I ended up as a cog in a bigger machine where I found a niche but it was too late to really benefit from it.

I think the most important thing at this stage is to be completely honest about your experience and abilities. In general when someone takes on a contractor they are expecting someone they won't necessarily have to keep an eye on. Being an employee would probably be a better option providing you get in with a decent company

I'm with Steve. You can learn a lot being employed. The companies generally have the time and staff to train you properly and you'll learn so much more than just using a saw and climbing. Start at the bottom and learn as much as you can.

Most people who use subcontractors (me included) want someone to come in and do the job they're being paid to do without having to spend time watching/teaching them.

I'm not saying you won't learn being a subby. I just don't think it's the best environment to learn in.

I'm with Steve. You can learn a lot being employed. The companies generally have the time and staff to train you properly and you'll learn so much more than just using a saw and climbing. Start at the bottom and learn as much as you can.

Most people who use subcontractors (me included) want someone to come in and do the job they're being paid to do without having to spend time watching/teaching them.

I'm not saying you won't learn being a subby. I just don't think it's the best environment to learn in.

I would go with this advice, IMO it will make you a better tree surgeon in the long term. Working for a good size firm will teach and install safer working practices for the future and less pressure. There will be more expected of you in the subbie world and although you have the quals you will undoubtedly benefit from at least 2 years experience working as an empolyee before picking up enough experience and speed to enter the subbie world.