Rules on towing

djbobbins

Can anyone help me out with a query?

I have recently had, as a works vehicle, a Kia Niro (petrol electric hybrid). When the car was launched, they said a towing option (for up to 1300kg towing) would be coming at the end of last year, but have since change their mind and are not going to offer this as an option for the UK.

The company website towing capacity is nil, which was backed up when I spoke to Kia UK before ordering.

However, now I've had the car delivered, I read the manual and it says (for European spec vehicles) that you can tow up to 600kg unbraked or 1000kg braked.

I'm therefore curious as to which should take precedence. Can I reasonably rely on the handbook, get a towbar fitted and not invalidate the warranty / be in trouble with VOSA if I was to get pulled?

Is the manual in more than one language?

On my brother's old SsangYong the manual said 3.5t braked in Dutch, 2.7t braked in English...

My old Jeep was the opposite, 3.5t in English, 3.36 in Dutch.

So this made me think the method of calculating the capacity must be different for different places? As such I'd think the numbers in the manual don't apply.

Maybe someone knows how towing weights are calculated?

Had a look, the variants in the Netherlands that are allowed to tow (1300kgs) have all been fitted with better brakes, better cooling system and I think some other minor things.

Models without these changes can still have a towbar for mounting a bike rack or such but aren't allowed to tow.