Tinnitus

Martyn Honey

I have it constantly. 42 years old.

I have a good feeling mine was caused by standing next to base bins and speaker stacks at raves and clubs in the 90's.

Along with a perforated left ear drum about 18 years ago and running saws daily I doubt it will improve.

Strangely enough, other people say it amplifies it but I sleep with ear plugs. With plugs my internal hum rocks me to sleep.

My wife has the same, too many nights at Rock City in Nottingham. I never wore ear protection until I was around 24 but have been lucky. I'm almost 47 but my hearing is excellent. The ear muffs are on even if I'm raking up. Also generally listen to music with ear buds at a low level which helps keep chipper and chainsaw noise out.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'm wondering if tinnitus can be in part psychological?

I only become aware of the ringing if I think about it, or am reminded of it. I'd never thought about it for months, and as soon as I read this post, I can hear it.

Anyone else experience this?

Yep... gutted I read this post.

I was blissfully unaware of mine until just now.

Been using saws almost daily for ten years and play drums 2-3 times a week with in ear monitors to hear the other instruments in the drum booth.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of custom made musicians earplugs.

They only cut out specific noise frequencies so that you can still hear but they remove the harmful noise.

Very expensive though.

Timon.

• Like 1

Me too, from a combination of unprotected shooting SLR, motorcycling & then drumming finished them off. However...I found it best to ignore if possible as others have said, once you're aware/reminded of it, it becomes far worse.

Missed that one!!!

I also find that by concentrating, I can make the ringing louder.

Yes amplifys with tiredness,concentration, stress situations such as public speaking. You want to hear the volume i get when trying to lipread someone when im tired.

You could call it psychological. Some doctors disregard it even is a real situation. Its real for me and can be a right frustrating drag sometimes. Im the sort that carries on working injured.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I was working with my 75 year old dad for a couple of days last week, helping do some work in his garden.

He has become pretty deaf recently and I got a bit irritated by him not being able to hear me ask him things. I asked why he did not put his hearing aids in? "well I keep nipping in the workshop to cut wood etc, so whats the point?"

I shook my head, "put them in and wear ear muffs when you run the machines, if you had just done that for the last 50 years you wouldn't need the bloody hearing aids!!"

I'm always wear muffs when using machines, I even used to use them when I had my U900 mog. I listen too radio4 with earbuds most of the time, which helps I think, because any noise would prevent me hearing the radio, so I put muffs on, even just on the forklift, digger or processor.

Edited by skyhuck