Tinnitus

Martyn Honey

I have it constantly. 42 years old.

I have a good feeling mine was caused by standing next to base bins and speaker stacks at raves and clubs in the 90's.

Along with a perforated left ear drum about 18 years ago and running saws daily I doubt it will improve.

Strangely enough, other people say it amplifies it but I sleep with ear plugs. With plugs my internal hum rocks me to sleep.

I have two sounds now, age 43. I've had the whistling for years and just ignore it. About two months ago I was working late at the computer and thought I could hear a generator in the distance. Sort of like a bus ticking over down the road. I actually went out in the garden to listen to see where it was from. I asked my partner and she couldn't hear it so put two and two together. The new noise annoyed me at first but I am used to it now so I just zone out. Can't listen to music too load in the car now as it hurts slightly. Mine is from a combination of chainsaws, chippers, compact tractors and mowers, gigs, festivals, and clubs.

There are treatments but not on the NHS and success is hit and miss I believe. someone I used to work with was treated by a clinic in Brussels and was completely cured. Don't know more about it than that though.

That's right, as soon as it's mentioned it becomes very noticeable , damn thread.

BTW mines a high pitched ring more prominent in left ear, about 6kHz but I passed my railway medicals with it for 8 years.

I always wore ear protection since my first powered saw in 1974 (Husky 165r still have it and leather harness) but there are a couple of problems, I have always worn glasses which makes the seal less effective and early muffs weren't much good for heavy machinery and chippers.

I think I'd suggest anyone wearing glasses use ear plugs as well as muffs.

That's an interesting point, I have worn glasses since I was 15 and used earmuffs from 18 onwards.

That's an interesting point, I have worn glasses since I was 15 and used earmuffs from 18 onwards.

I didn't realise I needed glasses till 16 when I tried to read numberplates for my bike test.

I also didn't come into the tree game till mid 20s when the brothers operating out of peasmarsh didn't want me so I got a job with Cyril.

I think the moral in this, is not wearing ear protection at an early age!

Not for me i went deaf aged four and we only had toys without batteries then.

I more or less have tinnitus constantly. My hearing fluctuates between profoundly deaf and absolutely deaf. The less you hear the louder the tinnitus.

Its caused only in people that have had hearing. Then the absence of expected noise makes the brain look harder and invents its own. I get allsorts of noises.

Some get depressed and commit suicide. Others relentlessly occupy themselves to drown it out. Will-I-am being a notable busy person.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi all, ringing in my right ear first ! Then left ear followed , diagnosis 3 years ago with deafness.

Wear my right hearing aid all the time as left one keeps falling out ! Do get ringing in my ears if I don't wear hearing aids.

Drives me nuts the ringing

The ringing in the ears does stop ! I have NHS hearing aids , nothing wrong with them, can't justify spending £800.00 plus on private hearings aids.

Just have a try they do make things better! In noises places they do help but I still miss conversations with noisy backgrounds .

Another related problem is I can't hear people walk up behind me, use to jump but now I constantly walk looking around to see what's about, cars and wagons can hinder me in day to day especially if there is a background noise.

Whilst working in my Pest Control my hi viv jackets and vests are printed with This operator is partially Deaf !

And some extreme cases a dedicated person is allocated whilst working on site.

Other than that I am fine ! !