Robotic wood carving

Stefan Palokangas

Hi Stefan

Please don't take offence to what I am about to say :blushing:

Surely the art and craft of wood carving cannot be replicated by machine and computer. Where is the artistic ability and skill in becoming a computer programmer?

Carving is a learned skill that requires practice and time to master. There are many great carvers on here that weald chainsaws to great results, or to the likes of me who get fed up using chainsaws all day so use traditional chisels instead.

Computers and 3d CNC machines cannot and will not ever recreate the skill and artistic ability of the human hand and mind.

When you see a mass produced computer orientated carving it de-values the true meaning of time honoured skill and craftsmanship - is this what progress and skill really means?

I think these true values, should, and do reflect on the sort of person I thought you were (based on your postings). Are you more interested in mass produced/mass profit/ little skill, or the true meaning of human craftsmanship?

Kind regards

David

I totally agree a hand made product is a lot better, can't compare the two.

But this is a way I can create something great. I can't even draw. I can create a fruit bowl, but not a perfect looking dragon in wood or a face.

So if I can sell wooden creations to garden centres and shops I'm happy.

I do indeed think this is the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stefan

Apologies my first response was based on your view on just making money :001_smile:

Take your hat off to the man - he's investing his money and doing something that will be everywhere in a couple of years I'd imagine. He is ahead of the curve with this and I'd imagine will make some decent money quickly if he can find a market for the products.

I am a designer/cabinet maker by trade and have been self employed now for 16 years. I still use some hand tools and also state of the art technology as in my laser and cnc router.

Most of my work is in designing and making wooden boxes for the whisky industry. In order to be competitive within a global market I have to use the best tools and machinery available in order to speed up the process. Quite often I am making 300 to 400 of the same item and this also helps to take away the drudgery as well. This also includes spending 70 quid or so on an individual forstner bit which most woodworkers on here would be reluctant to spend.

The vast majority of people using only hand tools are making items as a hobby or are in a very small niche, high end market which can stand high prices as the end customer understands that it is totally hand made.

Would you be willing to pay £80k for a Ford Fiesta because it was hand made or are you happy to take advantage of new technology which reduces the price to about£10k or so.

To criticize someone for wanting to earn a living is unfair and below the belt in my opinion. I haven't seen anywhere that Stefan has said he will use new technology to make wooden items and pass them off as handmade.

The other aspect of using new technology is that is it a lot more than press a couple of buttons and out pops the finished item ten minutes later. The learning curve for designing software can be very steep and complicated. No matter how expensive the machine is, it you cant use the software you have just bought a large and expensive paperweight!

My first reaction to this thread was that it would diminish the art form, but if it's for selling nicknacks to leisure shoppers in garden centres, then frankly it doesn't matter what tools or machines are used.

What I think would be really naff would be programming a computer to deliberately carve things to look like they have been done with a chainsaw. That's close to cheating customers.

I have been most impresed by chainsaw carving when it has been in-situ on a stump or stem, ideally using the natural form and grain imaginatively. I don't think anything will replace that, these seem to be one-offs and peple seem to be happy to pay a premium for their unique artistic worth.

Mass produced mobile pieces and wooden boxes might be Ford Fiestas, but the car analogy cannot be used for the one-off in-situ sculpture. If anything it's like getting a personally customised car built for you in your home using your own materials, and quite rightly that will be expensive and special.

Meantime if anyone can part consumers from their cash down the garden centre, as far as I am concerned computer-made wooden things can sit on display right alongside the garden gnomes and plastic planters.