SDS Drill vs standard cordless for drilling wood gateposts

Matthew Storrs

So iv totalled another cordless 18v drill (the rain gets in which doesn't help) But if I was to buy a 2kg SDS drill 18v cordless would this have the same or better torque for augering through gateposts than a standard 18v cordless?

I could use the SDS function a lot for granite gateposts etc so if it could do wooden ones (chestnut) too then that would be ideal.

cant find any data how much torque they kick out- just joules.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On mains drills, I've gone back to old school rather than SDS for big augers in Oak. After popping a very dear Metabo SDS I don't have faith in them.

Not very helpful for cordless I realise, but I would think you'd get better life out of something standard with 3 gears and real low down grunt.

I'm not sure if there's a twin battery Makita or DeWalt flexvolt that would give you more electrical power?

Hi have a TE 2. HILTI sds drill , but has an option of changing the drill head to a normal drill bit the HILTI has hammer and switch button to drill use for normal drilling.

The only draw back this drill model is some years old.

Helpful points cheers- just been googling the Hilton TE2 as it happens.

I have a 5kg corded sds which is great but I'm always in the middle of nowhere and it's a PITA dragging a genny around with me too.

I guess what I want is something that can drill 28mm holes into a granite gatepost (for resining gate hooks into) but that can also do standard wood gate posts- which always seems to stress my hitachi cordless somewhat. A standard cordless hammer function won't touch granite so has to be SDS.

Or perhaps I'd be better off with 2 machines rather trying to economise and get 1 that does everything.

Big drills in wooden posts are gut buster territory, it will kill all the toytown drills. If you really need cordless for this see if you can find a two stroke drill, they are ideal for this sort of thing.

Bob

Gets plenty of use .

imagejpg1_zps907b8144.jpg

Bob- that looks ace. I have considered the Stihl BT45- I'm sure it would be the boss compared to any cordless drill- iv tried loads of 18v cordless, yes they all got through a big gatepost but none of them have lasted over the long term. I have a stack of knackered drill!

I think it's the same old story there is no one machine that'll do it all. The only think that puts me off petrol drills is (I do a lot of fencing) having to crank it up every time I need to drill a hole- even if its just to pilot a hole. Cordless is beautifully grab and go- and quiet too