Perpetually worried about tree falling

jeffpas

This is a black locust tree, at least I suspect... that grew up volunteer in the backyard, and it grew fast. There are actually two, a little too close together at this size and they have been leaning apart from each other as trees are apt to do in this situation. They are VERY tall now, towering height both of them. I had no idea they would grow this fast or so big.

However, this one has a pronounced lean, and its toward my house and the neighbors'.

To make matters worse, it has some kind of injury right where I would not want it to be. We think (after discussing with an arborist once) from a lawn mower at a young age.

As you can see, the injury has two large taproots, thankfully, which appear to give it additional support. Other than this, the tree appears healthy and is fully leafed, if not growing even taller.

A couple people have come out to look at the tree over the years. A tree cutter claimed this type of tree has a very deep tap root and not to worry about it, he said this tree (in his experience) never falls down. An arborist also looked at the tree, he was the one who pulled the bark off exposing the wound. He seemed to think it was better for the tree with it not being covered.

Yes, I'd take it down, but we're looking at $1200 estimate and I'm out of work currently. Not to mention killing the tree, which I hate to do unnecessarily.

Okay, so on to today. I'm in the backyard and I notice on the far side (away from the lean) the earth rises up a bit to the base, and some odd cracks in the ground, that seem not to be elsewhere in the yard Is this a sign the tree is working its way toward falling? Or am I being paranoid.

Would appreciate feedback, and I can take more pics if needed, thanks!

I want to point out this page:

Tell-Tale Signs of a Tree on the Brink | Oliver Arbor Care - Professional Tree Care in Bend and Central Oregon

in #2 it talks about a curved trunk or 'self corrected lean'. Now, looking up at this tree it does have a pronounced curve and its center leader goes back straight again, in fact it even goes a bit in the other direction. Albeit, its much less in diameter at that point. Aside from other branches which go out in all directions.

You can kind of see that in picture #4. Thats what makes it tempting to cut off the side branches on the lean side, but then you'd seemingly be left with a towering telephone pole.

Or there's the possiblity of chaining or roping the two trees together- there are two, side by side, leaning away from each other as they were too close to begin with.

That would not be aesthetically pleasing, which I'm not as concerned about but would that really work?

tbh, I can only see a crack in the fifth photograph. The crack looks about 30cm (12 inches) from the base of the tree? I'd imagine if the tree was going to fall over the cracks would be further away from the trunk.

Has it been dry? The cracks could be due to the ground drying out to dry weather?

Nevertheless it sounds like the tree is too big for your garden. I'd get saving that $1200....

PS good luck with the job hunt.